Be inspired by these best Princess Diana quotes on love, family and kindness.
It's been over 20 years since the Princess of Wales died (opens in new tab), yet her reign as the 'People's Princess' remains as strong as ever today - with many still remembering her compassion and dedication to her sons and those less fortunate than herself.
Whilst Princess Diana was born (opens in new tab) a non-royal, her life changed dramatically when she met the Queen's son and married Prince Charles (opens in new tab) in 1981. Her life transformation undoubtedly equipped the late Princess with plenty of lessons on life (and love) and we've collated some of her best shared advice below.
Princess Diana quotes about love
1. "Only do what your heart tells you."
2. "I went to the school and put it to William, particularly, that if you find someone you love in life, you must hang onto it, and look after it, and if you were lucky enough to find someone who loved you, then you must protect it."
3. "It's not sissy to show your feeling."
4. "Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves."
5. "I don't want expensive gifts; I don't want to be bought. I have everything I want. I just want someone to be there for me, to make me feel safe and secure."
6. “The kindness and affection from the public have carried me through some of the most difficult periods, and always your love and affection have eased the journey.”
Princess Diana quotes about motherhood
7. "I live for my sons. I would be lost without them."
8. "Don't call me an icon. I'm just a mother trying to help."
9. "A mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's."
10. "Family is the most important thing in the world."
11. "Hugs can do great amounts of good - especially for children."
12. "I will fight for my children on any level in order for them to be happy and have peace of mind and carry out their duties."
13. "I want them to have an understanding of people's emotions, people's insecurities, people's distress, and people's hopes and dreams."
Princess Diana quotes on kindness
14. "Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society."
15. "I touch people. I think everyone needs that. Placing a hand on a friend’s face means making contact."
16. "Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."
17. "I am not a political figure, I am a humanitarian figure, always was, always will be."
18. "Everyone needs to be valued. Everyone has the potential to give something back."
19. "Anywhere I see suffering, that is where I want to be, doing what I can."
20. "I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that."
21. "The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other."
22. "Helping people in need is a good and essential part of my life, a kind of destiny."
Princess Diana quotes on life
23. "I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am."
24. "They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable. But how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?"
25. "I don't go by the rule book… I lead from the heart, not the head."
26. "Life is just a journey."
27. "When you are happy you can forgive a great deal."
28. "If men had to have babies, they would only ever have one each."
29. "You know, people think that at the end of the day a man is the only answer. Actually, a fulfilling job is better for me."
Princess Diana quotes on royal life
30. "It's vital the monarchy keeps in touch with the people — it's what I try to do."
31. "I'd like to be a queen in people's hearts."
32. "It took a long time to understand why people were so interested in me."
33. "Being a princess isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be."
34. "Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded."
35. "Call me Diana, not Princess Diana."