Asparagus, burrata and prosciutto toasts take a classic combination of cheese, ham and bread, but give it a touch of sophistication. Burrata is a fresh Italian buffalo milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream that has a smooth texture and feels really luxurious. You can find burrata in most big supermarkets, and in many speciality cheese shops and Italian delis, but if you can’t get your hands on any you could use mozzarella instead. Our asparagus, burrata and prosciutto toasts is a versatile dish that works equally well as a dinner party starter, light lunch, or a brunch that feels a bit more special. If you have one vegetarian in your group, you could easily adapt this recipe to make it veggie friendly by omitting the prosciutto or replacing it with some green olives for a salty kick. Using good quality sourdough bread is the key to these asparagus, burrata and prosciutto toasts. .
- 1tbsp mustard powder
- 1tsp soft brown sugar
- 4tbsp single cream
- 200g asparagus, halved lengthways
- 4 thick slices good-quality sourdough
- butter, for toast
- 2 balls burrata cheese or buffalo mozzarella
- 100g prosciutto slices
- 2tbsp sesame seeds, to serve
- In a small bowl, mix the mustard powder, sugar and cream together with 2tbsp water, then set aside to thicken while you prepare the toasts.
- Heat a griddle pan to medium and griddle the asparagus for 2 mins on each side until cooked through and slightly charred.
- Toast the slices of sourdough, either in a toaster or on the grill, then butter each slice. Spread with the mustard cream and top with burrata, griddled asparagus and prosciutto. Sprinkle the toasts with sesame seeds to serve.