This is a really hearty aubergine parmigiana, bulked up with lentils to make it really filling without costing much more.
If you want this dish to be suitable for vegetarians, make sure to use a vegetarian hard cheese and strict veggies will not want to eat Parmesan, pecorino or Gran Padano. They are easy to find, sold next to classic Parmesan in supermarkets. The whole dish is really quick to make - ready in only 30 minutes. It's a great dish to serve to veggies and meat eaters because the aubergine feels quite 'meaty'. Tasty, easy, speedy... and good for you too: a portion of this is only 322 calories - making it one of our favourite low calorie meals.
- 3 aubergines, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Handful fresh basil, torn, plus extra to garnish
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 400g can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 100g grated Parmesan
- 1 ball mozzarella, torn
- Lay the aubergine on baking trays and brush with half the oil. Grill until golden brown, then turn and cook on the other side.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the garlic and allow to infuse for 1 min. Pour in the tomatoes, basil and sugar, and simmer for 10 mins. Add the lentils and cook for 5-10 mins to warm through and reduce.
- Layer the aubergine with the tomato sauce and a generous sprinkling of Parmesan. Dot the mozzarella over the top and grill. If you want to make ahead, leave to cool completely, then chill. Reheat in the oven at 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6 for 25-30 mins. Scatter a few basil leaves over the top of the dish just before serving.
Top Tip for making aubergine parmigiana
If you're not a fan of lentils but still want to keep this dish vegetarian friendly swap for Quorn mince instead.
You might also like...
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Air fryer Turkish-style stuffed aubergine with saffron and yogurt dip
Air fryer aubergine stuffed with a Turkish-style filling served with a saffron infused yogurt dip...
By Clare Andrews Published
These aubergine sliders are so simple to make and are tasty too. They’ll make the perfect side dish for a BBQ or special dinner with chicken
By Jessica Dady Published
Aubergine, bean and potato curry
This aubergine, bean and potato curry is a simple and satisfying vegetarian curry.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published