This chicken, leek bake recipe with Cheddar cheese uses classic British ingredients – and is cheap to make, too.
Sometimes you just need to smother things in cheese. Our chicken, leek and bake with Chaddar serves four people and will take about 35 mins to rustle up. Packed with plenty of flavour, thanks to the buttery Cheddar cheese sauce and tangy leeks, this recipe uses chicken breasts but you could use other cuts like thighs or wings to keep the cost down. Serve this hearty bake with new potatoes or on a bed of freshly cooked pasta.
- 1tbsp oil
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 25g butter
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 125g Cheddar cheese, grated
- To make this chicken breast recipe, heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the chicken for 5 mins. Add the leeks and fry for 10 mins, covered.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 min. Off the heat, gradually whisk in the milk then bring to the boil until thickened, stirring. Season and add half the cheese and stir until melted.
- Place the chicken in a heatproof serving dish and pour over the cheese sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place under a preheated grill for 2-3 mins until golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.
Top tip for making this chicken, leek and Cheddar bake
The sauce in this recipe would work well with other meats too – try beef or pork instead.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Video recipe! Smoked trout pate
goodtoknow has lots of easy Christmas recipes like Smoked Trout Mousse. Check out our easy step-by-step guide to making these Christmas starters with our new baking video below.
By GoodtoKnow Published
Video recipe: Phil Vickery's ginger biscuits
These ginger biscuits look lovely and festive hanging from the tree at Christmas and they taste great too! Follow along in our easy step-by-step video recipe visit goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes
By Phil Vickery Published
A great British favourite, this Indian tandoori chicken is very tasty and spicy and easy to cook. Serve it up with a yogurt dip and your favourite kind of naan bread.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published