This chicken, leek bake recipe with Cheddar cheese uses classic British ingredients – and is cheap to make, too.
Sometimes you just need to smother things in cheese. Our chicken, leek and bake with Chaddar serves four people and will take about 35 mins to rustle up. Packed with plenty of flavour, thanks to the buttery Cheddar cheese sauce and tangy leeks, this recipe uses chicken breasts but you could use other cuts like thighs or wings to keep the cost down. Serve this hearty bake with new potatoes or on a bed of freshly cooked pasta.
- 1tbsp oil
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 25g butter
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 125g Cheddar cheese, grated
- To make this chicken breast recipe (opens in new tab), heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the chicken for 5 mins. Add the leeks and fry for 10 mins, covered.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 min. Off the heat, gradually whisk in the milk then bring to the boil until thickened, stirring. Season and add half the cheese and stir until melted.
- Place the chicken in a heatproof serving dish and pour over the cheese sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place under a preheated grill for 2-3 mins until golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.
Top tip for making this chicken, leek and Cheddar bake
The sauce in this recipe would work well with other meats too – try beef or pork instead.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Video recipe! Smoked trout pate
goodtoknow has lots of easy Christmas recipes like Smoked Trout Mousse. Check out our easy step-by-step guide to making these Christmas starters with our new baking video below.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Video recipe: Phil Vickery's ginger biscuits
These ginger biscuits look lovely and festive hanging from the tree at Christmas and they taste great too! Follow along in our easy step-by-step video recipe visit goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes
By Phil Vickery • Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make at home and tastes delicious too. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken.
By Gordon Ramsay • Last updated
This Peshwari naan recipe is simple and makes a great Indian cuisine side dish. They only take minutes to cook and complete any classic Indian dish...
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Hairy Bikers' chicken and wild mushroom pie
A tender chicken and rich wild mushroom pie recipe by The Hairy Bikers. Ready in just six simple steps...
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Chicken and mushroom pie
This chicken and mushroom pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food. It's made with double cream, and white wine, and is infused with thyme...
By Jessica Dady • Published