Learn how to make this mouth-watering Chickpea dahl in just a few simple steps. It's the perfect side dish and just delicious with naan bread.
This easy to make chickpea dahl is a the perfect option for vegetarians. This spicy chickpea dish is so healthy and great if you fancy something a little fiery. A portion of this dhal recipe works out at only 290 calories per serving, a healthy option as a side, starter or dip.
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 x 400g (14oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- Half a 20g (1oz) pack fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- Gently cook the onion in the oil until soft. Add the garlic, cook for 1 min, then add the curry powder and stir over a low heat for another minute.
- Stir in the potato, add 425ml water and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 mins, then add the chickpeas and tomatoes; simmer for another 10 mins. Stir in the coriander and chillies.