This chocolate biscuit cake is the perfect mid-afternoon sweet treat.
Our chocolate biscuit cake recipe is a no-cook cake made with mostly store cupboard essentials, including crushed biscuits, butter, sugar and cocoa powder with the addition of walnuts and raisins. The only fresh ingredients you’ll need are butter and milk, so it’s the ideal go-to treat. As this chocolate biscuit cake recipe is enough for 16 portions, it also makes it a great choice for parties, picnics and even a daily snack if you're feeling indulgent. You could make it healthier by swapping the full fat butter for a lower calorie option, full-fat milk for skim or a dairy-free alternative, and replacing the golden syrup with honey.
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- 250g (8oz) arrowroot biscuit, or any plain biscuits like a digestive, or a mixture, roughly crushed (in a bag, bashing with a rolling pin)
- 60g (2oz) walnuts pieces, chopped
- 60g (2oz) raisins
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 18cm (7in) square cake tin, lined with bakewell paper
- Put the butter, sugar, cocoa, syrup and milk in a pan and heat gently, stirring until melted together to make a chocolate sauce.
- Add the crushed biscuits, walnuts, raisins and vanilla, if using, and press the mixture into the tin. Chill in the fridge until set firm. Cut into squares.
Tips for making chocolate biscuit cake:
Drizzle melted white chocolate over the top for a finishing touch.
You might also like...
Mary Berry's chocolate cake (opens in new tab)
Chocolate chip cake (opens in new tab)
Biscuit brownies (opens in new tab)