Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
A delicious combination of dark chocolate and malty Guinness, these chocolate Guinness cupcakes are prepared in just 10 minutes.
Whip up a batch of 12 chocolate Guinness cupcakes to share on St. Patrick’s Day this year. These mouth-watering cupcakes are infused with dark bitter chocolate, sour cream, and 250ml of Guinness. The Guinness makes these cupcakes extra moist and really gives the sponge light and airy texture. This cupcake recipe (opens in new tab) can be decorated with chocolate buttercream or simply with a spoonful of icing and glitter Shamrock.
- 250ml Guinness
- 250g butter
- 100g dark bitter chocolate, broken up
- 400g caster sugar
- 150g tub of sour cream or creme fraiche
- 2 medium eggs
- 275g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
To decorate (optional)
- 200g white fondant
- green fondant icing
- Shamrock stencil, cut out of paper, or icing/cookie cutter
- edible green glitter
- cocktail sticks
- or Chocolate buttercream
- Gently heat the Guinness, butter, chocolate and sugar together. Mix in the eggs and sour cream then add in the flour and baking soda. Beat so it's smooth with no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into 12 cases and bake at 160C, gas 3 for 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Once cooled you might like to decorate your cupcakes with some chocolate buttercream icing and fondant icing shamrocks. You could also cut out a circle of white fondant icing and sprinkle edible glitter over a stencil cutout of a shamrock for a chic, simple finish.
Top tips for making chocolate Guinness cupcakes
The cake mixture will be very runny before baking. We’d recommend pouring the mixture into a jug so you can easily pour it into each cupcake case. You could also use a ladle to make sure you get an even amount of mixture in each case.
You might also like…
Classic chocolate cupcake recipe (opens in new tab)
Mary Berry’s chocolate cake (opens in new tab)
Lorraine Pascale’s Guinness cake (opens in new tab)
Please note the nutritional information does not include decorations or buttercream.