Damsons, sweet wild plums, are in season now so enjoy them in this easy-to-make, crunchy dessert.
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 500g (1lb) damsons
- 750ml carton of luxury vanilla ice cream
- 200g (7oz) good lemon (or ginger)-flavoured biscuits (we used Grand Duchy of Cornwall lemon biscuits), lightly crushed
- 900g (2lb) loaf tin, lined with cling film
- Heat the sugar with 4tbsp cold water in a pan and, when it dissolves, bring to the boil and add the damsons. Simmer for 5-10 mins, until the fruit is softened. Take off the heat, cool for a few minutes, then sieve out the stones and skins to make a smooth purée. You should have about 350ml (12fl oz) purée.
- Spoon the ice cream into a large bowl and soften it slightly, but don't let it melt. Stir in the biscuits and half the damson purée to create a marbled effect. Reserve the rest of the purée in a plastic tub.
- Spoon the ice-cream mixture into the prepared tin, wrapping the cling film over the top. Freeze the covered mixture for 4-5 hrs, or overnight, until firm.
- To serve, remove the ice cream from the freezer about 10 mins before serving. Dip the
- base of the tin in hot water for a couple of seconds, if necessary. Turn it out on to a plate, remove the film and cut it into slices. Serve with the remaining purée (thawed, if frozen).
- Seal the spare purée in a tub and freeze. Use the purée, or the damson and lemon crunch, within 3 months.