A juicy and tender steak served with red wine sauce. This is easy to cook and a great dish for the whole family
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 1kg/2¼lb), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 8 sage leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 x 175g (6oz) fillet steaks
For the sauce:
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine
- 400ml can beef consommé or good beef stock
- 2 tsp butter mixed with 2 tsp plain flour
- Pinch of sugar
- To make the sauce: Warm the butter in a pan, add the onion and carrot, and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins. Add the wine and consommé, or stock, and simmer for 10-15 mins until reduced by almost half. Whisk in the butter-and-flour mixture to thicken it. Season and add the sugar.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for about 15 mins, drain well and dry out over the heat. Pour 1 tbs oil into a pan, add the sage leaves and fry until crispy. Take them out, put potatoes back in the pan with the flavoured oil, add plenty of seasoning and mash well.
- Rub the rest of the oil over the steaks and season well. Heat a griddle or frying pan and cook the steaks for 2-4 mins on each side. Add any juices from the pan to the sauce before serving with the steaks, the mash, garnished with sage leaves, and your
Top Tip for making Fillet steak with red wine sauce
For a smooth sauce, whizzthe ingredients in the pan with a stick blender.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Pepper sauce recipe
This classic pepper sauce recipe is much easier to make than your may think. With plenty of flavour and a tangy kick, this sauce is ideal drizzled on a steak
By GoodtoKnow Published
Beetroot and butternut squash bruschetta
A flavour-packed bruschetta loaded with beetroot, butternut squash, pumpkin seeds, garlic and more...
By Rose Fooks Published
Baked lamb steaks
These baked lamb steaks are easy to cook in the pan with potatoes and cherry tomatoes, and each portion comes in under 400 calories. A great weekend supper idea.
By Jessica Dady Published