Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
A juicy and tender steak served with red wine sauce. This is easy to cook and a great dish for the whole family
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 1kg/2¼lb), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 8 sage leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 x 175g (6oz) fillet steaks
For the sauce:
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine
- 400ml can beef consommé or good beef stock
- 2 tsp butter mixed with 2 tsp plain flour
- Pinch of sugar
- To make the sauce: Warm the butter in a pan, add the onion and carrot, and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins. Add the wine and consommé, or stock, and simmer for 10-15 mins until reduced by almost half. Whisk in the butter-and-flour mixture to thicken it. Season and add the sugar.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for about 15 mins, drain well and dry out over the heat. Pour 1 tbs oil into a pan, add the sage leaves and fry until crispy. Take them out, put potatoes back in the pan with the flavoured oil, add plenty of seasoning and mash well.
- Rub the rest of the oil over the steaks and season well. Heat a griddle or frying pan and cook the steaks for 2-4 mins on each side. Add any juices from the pan to the sauce before serving with the steaks, the mash, garnished with sage leaves, and your
Top Tip for making Fillet steak with red wine sauce
For a smooth sauce, whizzthe ingredients in the pan with a stick blender.