Grilling the ingredients in this classic salad gives it a tasty twist. Plus, you won’t regret making the dressing from scratch – it’s a taste revelation!
Our grilled Caesar salad with Sumac croutons and homemade dressing (opens in new tab) is easier to make than you may think. We recommend using an electric hand blender when making the dressing as it can take quite a lot of energy if whipping by hand! Grilling the chicken and lettuce results in a slight char, which adds lots of flavour. If you often worry when cooking chicken and want to know when it is cooked, read our complete guide here. (opens in new tab)
Although the original Caesar salad doesn’t contain anchovies, we think it is vital you include them. The anchovies add a lovely saltiness to the dressing. We used fresh anchovy fillets, these can be found at the fish counter or next to the olives in the supermarket. However anchovy fillets from a tin or jar will also work. Build the salad up even more with crispy lardons or seasonal tomatoes. Leftover chicken (opens in new tab) is delicious in these chicken taco bowls. (opens in new tab)
- 400g mini chicken breast fillets
- 3 baby gem lettuces, cut into quarters
- 12 fresh anchovy fillets, chopped
For the croutons:
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp sumac
- 200g bread, torn into bite size pieces
For the dressing:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 60ml olive oil
- 1/2tsp Dijon mustard
- 15g grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Heat the over to 180C/Gas 4. To make the croutons: mix the oil and sumac in a large bowl. Toss through the bread and spread onto a baking tray. Cook for 10 mins then remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile brush a griddle pan with oil and heat over a medium heat. Once hot add the lettuce, cook each side until charred. Set aside and add the chicken to the pan. Cook for about 2 mins on each side until cooked through.
- To make the dressing: use an electric beater to whisk the yolk, crushed garlic , three of the anchovy fillets and 1/4tsp sea salt until thick. Slowly pour in the oil while mixing. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick. Finally mix in the mustard, parmesan, lemon juice and a grind of black pepper. Mix the chicken, lettuce and anchovies through the dressing. Arrange on the plate and scatter over the croutons and grated Parmesan.
Top Tip for making Grilled Caesar salad with sumac croutons
Fresh anchovies in a dressing are the best for this recipe, you can often find them at the fish counter, but failing this tinned or jarred will work too
Rose Fooks is Deputy Food Editor at Future Publishing, creating recipes, reviewing products and writing food features for a range of lifestyle and home titles including GoodTo and Woman&Home. Before joining the team, Rose obtained a Diplome de Patisserie and Culinary Management at London’s Le Cordon Bleu. Going on to work in professional kitchens at The Delaunay and Zedel.
Moroccan chicken salad
Moroccan chicken salad is a delicious, warming salad that is full of flavour and freshly garnished too. It will keep you fuller for longer
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Warm rainbow cabbage salad
This warm rainbow cabbage salad is the perfect healthy side for the cooler months of the year, giving you a fresh crunch with your meal without it being too chilly...
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Greek-style stuffed chicken and salad
Greek-style stuffed chicken is made with spinach and feta and a mixed veg salad for a healthy dinner that's just 313 calories and ready in 30 mins
By Jessica Dady • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
When do kids break up from school? Summer Holiday dates 2022
By Emily Stedman • Published
McDonald's halloumi fries are on the new summer menu with four brand new burgers
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Last updated
These 7 everyday clothing items could get drivers FINED up to £5,000 - do you wear them at the wheel?
By Selina Maycock • Published