This simple grilled cauliflower soup only has a few ingredients but so much flavour - it's creamy, cosy bowl food.
This is an easy cauliflower soup recipe, finished with a flashy garnish. Once the soup is portioned up into bowls, you top it with cheese (plus extra cauliflower if you want) and grill it for a tasty, crisp topping. It's an optional flourish, because the soup is delicious as it is. However, the garnish adds a a little extra something if you're serving to guests or as part of a special meal. Cauliflower is a year-round vegetable, and this soup is suitable for any season. In winter, the bubbling cheesy topping is immensely comforting. Meanwhile in summer it's delightfully low fat, in case you're thinking about bikinis.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium cauliflower, about (850g), broken into florets
- 350g onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Sprig of rosemary, leaves only
- 1 tbsp flour
- 900ml semi-skimmed milk
- 500ml low-salt chicken stock, or vegetable stock if you're making it for vegetarians
- 125g low-fat hard cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- Ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and stir in the onion and cauliflower, garlic and rosemary. Cook, stirring, for at least 10 mins or until the onion is very soft and a golden colour.
- Stir in the flour, milk and chicken stock. Season and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 30-35 mins or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Cool the soup a little then puree in a blender or processor. Return the soup to the rinsed pan and reheat gently. Dilute, if necessary, with a little extra stock and season.
- Turn the grill on to high and place the bowls in a roasting tin. Stir 50g low-fat grated hard cheese into the soup and ladle into shallow heatproof soup bowls (the bowls need to be quite full).
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese and a little paprika over the soup.
- Boil a kettle of water and pour the hot water into the roasting tin around the base of the bowls. Using oven gloves, carefully lift the roasting pan under the grill and cook for about 5-10 mins or until the tops are golden and bubbling.
- Carefully remove the roasting tin from the grill and lift the bowls out. Gently wipe dry and garnish with rocket leaves if you want. Serve the soup with warm crusty bread or cheese scones.
Top tips for grilled cauliflower soup
To keep the salt content low we've used low salt stock and only added pepper in the seasoning. This keeps the soup healthy and you should find it is still well seasoned.
You might also like...
Healthy pasta recipes (opens in new tab)
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup is an autumn winner. He says: 'I adore this smooth, velvety soup. For a touch of luxury, I’m adding wild mushrooms – their warm, earthy flavour complements sweet, nutty pumpkin beautifully.'
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
When does Great British Menu 2023 start?
All you need to know ahead of series 18 of the culinary BBC Two show
By Selina Maycock • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published