This easy homemade pesto recipe shows you exactly how classic pesto is made and only takes 5 mins to rustle up.
This homemade pesto recipe can be used in different ways, the most popular is with pasta. You can also use it as a sauce for grilled fish or meat and it is delicious when stirred into soups or crushed potatoes. Swap that classic tomato pizza sauce for pesto instead for a flavour-packed meal.
The pine nuts, basil and Parmesan make a delicious combination. This sauce will last up to 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge. This classic Italian sauce has to be one of our favourite pesto recipes.
A good homemade pesto needs to be bright in colour, full of fresh ingredients with a strong earthy flavour. Homemade pesto is often cheaper to make than buying shop-bought.
- 100g basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 50g Pecorino or Parmesan, freshly grated
- 8tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a squeeze of fresh lemon
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor with salt and pepper and blitz to form a rough paste.
- To keep it for another day, spoon the pesto into a jar then spoon a little oil on top to preserve it for longer. Cover and keep in the fridge. Use within 1 week.
- Stir through pasta, drizzle over chicken or spread on salmon fillets - it goes with anything!
Top Tip for making Homemade pesto
Variations:Use parsley or mint, or a mixture of herbs, or rocket, spinach, or peas or beans. Make with chilli and coriander or red peppers and chilli.