Lemon blueberry pancakes are simple and easy to create, but your guests won't know that because they look and taste amazing.
These American-style pancakes are deeper and thicker than a classic pancake recipe. That makes them great for piling up into a multi-layered tower. Interspersing the fluffy pancakes with a layer of thick, creamy mascarpone cheese and juicy whole blueberries makes the perfect texture combination. The sweet, zesty lemon sauce makes all the other flavours really pop. This recipe makes 4 three-layer towers - and they are so impressive. It's the ultimate New York blueberry breakfast - though we'd happily eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 275g plain flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 level tsp salt
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 220ml milk
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 250g mascarpone
- Small punnet of blueberries
- Juice and zest of a large lemon
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and add the caster sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter. Add this to the flour mixture and gently whisk together to make a thick batter.
- Lightly coat a large heavy-based frying pan with a little oil and then drop in dessert spoons of the batter mixture in batches to fit the pan. Cook the pancakes over a low to medium heat until a few bubbles appear on the surface. At this point, the underside should be golden, so flip them over. Keep going until you have used up all the batter, keeping the pancakes warm under foil.
- In the meantime put the syrup and lemon in a pan and gently warm. On a warm serving plate arrange the pancakes in a stack spreading mascarpone, dotted with whole blueberries between each pancake. Finish by drizzling generously with the lemon syrup. Serve while still warm.
Top tips for making lemon blueberry pancakes
It's important not to overwork the batter for these fluffy pancakes, or they won't rise as well in the pan. Just gently whisk the ingredients together and don't worry if it's still a little lumpy.
You may also like...
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Octavia Lillywhite is an award-winning food and lifestyle journalist with over 15 years of experience. With a passion for creating beautiful, tasty family meals that don’t use hundreds of ingredients or anything you have to source from obscure websites, she’s a champion of local and seasonal foods, using up leftovers and composting, which, she maintains, is probably the most important thing we all can do to protect the environment.
An easy, delicious pancake recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make - the perfect weekend treat or Pancake Day go-to...
By Jessica Dady Published
Espresso Martini chocolate pots
Whizz these Espresso Martini chocolate pots up in 10 minutes for your dinner party – a perfect, lightly boozy dessert...
By Jess Meyer Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer Published