This vegetable chicken pie serves four and is under 400 calories per portion.
Unlike Joe Wicks chicken pie which uses mushrooms and a leek, the filling for our pie uses a bag of frozen diced vegetables which makes it quick and cheap to make. You could use meat-free chunks if you want to make the recipe vegetarian.
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, approx 90g, finely chopped
- 350g cooked lean chicken, cut into small pieces
- 250g frozen diced vegetable mix
- 250g readymade white sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large sheets filo pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 200C (180C fan, Gas 6). Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes, stirring, until softened. Leave to cool then stir in the chicken and frozen vegetables.
- Divide the chicken mixture between 4 x 10cm round, shallow ovenproof dishes. Spoon over the sauce, season lightly and place on a large baking tray.
- Lay the sheets of pastry on the work surface and brush with egg, then scrunch up each sheet to make a loose “rosette” shape and place one on top of each pie dish, making sure it is completely covered.
- Brush the pastry tops with more egg. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden, crisp and piping hot. Serve immediately with fresh vegetables or a crisp salad.
Top tips for making vegetable chicken pie
You can experiment with the sauce for this pie. Add a spoonful of pesto to the white sauce for a herby twist or swap for a tomato-based sauce if you prefer. You could also add mustard and cheese to the white sauce or some lemon zest, garlic and parsley is another nice combination. Continue reading for more tips and tricks.
Can I use gravy in my chicken pie filling?
You could swap the white sauce for gravy if you prefer. You might like to thicken it a little before baking but if you’re happy with a looser consistency then feel free to mix the vegetables and chicken with it and then bake as per the recipe.
Are frozen vegetables considered processed food?
Frozen vegetables are usually frozen as soon after harvest as possible. This helps to retain lots of vital nutrients and vitamins. As long as the vegetables haven’t been treated with any preservatives, they are not considered to be processed. Frozen vegetables are an easy and affordable way to make sure you’re hitting the 5-a-day target.
What to serve with a vegetable chicken pie?
If you want to keep the calorie count of the overall meal down, some steamed veggies is a great option. Alternatively, given the filo top has reduced the calories in the pie, you could go for something more indulgent like mashed potatoes or triple cooked chips.
When making individual pies in ramekins it can be useful to use a large baking sheet to take the pies in and out of the oven. It’s much quicker and ensures you don’t accidentally spill any filling in the oven!
Tala Performance Baking Sheet - View at Amazon
This is a versatile tray that you’ll use for lots of recipes. From cookies and cakes to roasting veg, the non-stick coating means you can cook with confidence and clean up more easily too.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica is a freelance food writer, stylist and recipe tester. She previously worked as Senior Food Writer at Future. While at Future Jessica wrote food and drink-related news stories and features, curated product pages, reviewed equipment, and developed recipes that she then styled on food shoots. She is an enthusiastic, self-taught cook who adores eating out and sharing great food and drink with friends and family. She has completed the Level 1 Associate course at the Academy of Cheese and is continually building on her knowledge of beers, wines, and spirits.
Christmas dinner pie
Our Christmas dinner pie turns all your festive leftovers into a pastry covered feast.
By Rosie Conroy Last updated
Fish pie with swede mash
Swap the usual potato topping for a sweet, earthy swede mash instead with this fish pie with swede mash recipe...
By Rose Fooks Published
Slimming World steak pie with Guinness
This Slimming World Steak pie has Guinness in the gravy for richness and is served with a sprout mashed potato
By Slimming World Last updated