If you're on a diet, enjoy a guilt-free cupcake with these delicious sultana cupcakes with a fresh-tasting green tea icing. They look great and taste great too – so it’s a great combination. This cupcake recipe (opens in new tab) makes 16 cupcakes.
For the fat free cupcakes:
- 1 green tea bag
- 140 g (5 oz) sultanas
- 115 g (4 oz) pitted soft dates, chopped
- 140 g (5 oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 225 g (8 oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
For the green tea icing:
- 250 g (9 oz) fondant icing sugar, sieved
- 3–4 tbsp green tea, hot or cold
- 2 tbsp each sultanas and chopped dates
You will also need
- Silicon moulds or non-stick paper cases
- To make the cupcakes, put the tea bag in a large measuring jug and add 300 ml (1⁄2 pt) plus 3–4 tablespoons of hot, but not-quite-boiling, water. Set aside for 10 minutes, then remove the bag and pour 300 ml (1⁄2 pt) of the tea into a mixing bowl (the rest is for the icing). Stir in the sultanas, dates and sugar. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Beat the eggs into the tea mixture in the bowl and stir in the flour and ginger until evenly combined.
- Set the silicone cases on a baking sheet and spoon the mixture into them. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in enough green tea to make a spreadable icing. Coat the tops of the cupcakes with the icing and decorate with a few sultanas and chopped dates.
Top Tip for making Low-fat cupcakes
It’s essential that silicone moulds or non-stick paper cases are used for these or the baked mixture will stick like to the cases leaving half the sponge behind
You might also like…
Chocolate cupcake recipe (opens in new tab)
Vanilla cupcakes recipe (opens in new tab)
Healthy cupcakes (opens in new tab)