Healthy cupcakes made with peanut butter, coconut palm sugar, fresh raspberries, chia seeds, and plenty of honey.
These healthy cupcakes by Fearne Cotton are easy to make and taste delicious too. Flavour the sponge and icing with peanut butter. Make the sweet raspberry jam using just three ingredients; raspberries, honey, and chia seeds. The peanut and raspberry jam pair perfectly together.
- 60g unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 120g coconut palm sugar
- 60g smooth peanut butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 120g white spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk (almond, rice or dairy)
For the raspberry chia jam:
- 200g raspberries, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2½ tbsp
For the icing:
- 250g cream cheese, or dairy-free alternative
- 80g smooth peanut butter
- 40g honey
- To make this Fearne Cotton recipe (opens in new tab) preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/Gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with 10 paper cases.
- To make the jam, add the raspberries and honey to a pan and set over a medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, mashing the raspberries to release their liquid. Stir in the chia seeds and continue to simmer for 15 minutes until thick and viscous. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl cream together the butter or coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the peanut butter and eggs, then fold in the flour, baking powder and milk. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 16-20 minutes until risen and golden. A skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake should come out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely (otherwise the icing will melt).
- To make the icing, combine the cream cheese, peanut butter and honey until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut out a small thumb-size hole from the centre of each one.
- Fill each hole with a teaspoon of the raspberry chia jam. Keep any remaining jam in a jar in the fridge. Top each cupcake with a tablespoonful of the icing, then position a raspberry on top of each one.
Top tips for making healthy cupcakes
Fearne Cotton says: ‘Peanut butter and jam go together like duvets and books. Total soul-satisfying perfection. I eat a lot of nut butter as I adore the creaminess and flavour and am always happy to boost up my daily protein with it too, so getting my fave ingredient into a bake was a must for this book.
The jam is a little hidden secret inside that will be delightfully discovered when bitten in to and the creamy topping just makes these little dreamboats even more decadent. Serve up when your mates or family drop over for tea or give to your little ones as a cheeky treat.’
You might also like…
The Hummingbird Bakery’s vanilla cupcakes recipe (opens in new tab)
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry
This delicious Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry recipe takes a classic dish and reduces the calories to turn it into a healthy family meal
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Joe Wicks' almond butter satay chicken with Asian slaw
By Joe Wicks • Published
Make this classic lasagne with layers of lean beef mince and tomato sauce. It's an easy Italian lasagne recipe the whole family will love...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Gordon Ramsay’s beef Wellington
Gordon Ramsay's beef Wellington recipe looks impressive and takes just 20 mins to prep. Made with beef fillet, mushrooms, and readymade pastry...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published