These delicious mini quiches are the perfect bite-sized snacks for picnics and packed lunches.
Our mini quiche recipe makes 12 small, savoury treats in total and follows the classic combo of onion, bacon and cheese. We love the crumbly pastry with the creaminess of the cheese and the saltiness of the bacon, finished with the sweet cooked onion. But you could always try a smoked salmon and leek filling or mix broccoli, walnut and blue cheese for a little bit of luxury. Cook all together in the oven for 20 mins and eat when hot or cold.
- 300g plain flour
- 150g butter, chilled and diced
- 4-5 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 rashers back bacon, chopped
- 75g Mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and stir in the butter. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the water and mix to a dough. Knead gently until smooth. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Lightly grease 1 12-hole muffin tray. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll each out on a lightly floured surface to a 12cm round. Gently press into the holes of the muffin tray. Prick the bases with a fork and chill for 15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. For the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and bacon for 5-6 mins until the onion is soft. Cool for 5 mins.
- Divide the onion and bacon mixture between the pastry cases and top with the cheese. Beat together the eggs and milk and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the mixture into the pastry cases.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 mins until set and golden. Serve warm or cold.
Top tip for making mini quiches:
The trick to light and crisp home-made pastry is to keep everything cool – ingredients, equipment and your hands.
Broccoli and salmon pasta
This superfood-packed broccoli and salmon pasta recipe is full of protein and contains a third of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Gluten-free smoked salmon tartlets
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Salmon pasta with crème fraîche
This salmon pasta with leeks, broccoli, green beans and parsley is easy to make and tastes delicious - plus it gives you a healthy dose of omega-3 too.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Aubergine toasts feature a versatile aubergine dip which you can serve in a bowl with dipping toasts or more formally as a canapé, topped with a dollop of yoghurt and a sprig of rocket.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Vanilla yule log cake
This vanilla yule log cake ticks all the boxes: light as a cloud vanilla sponge, rich booze spiked chocolate filling, and a cheat’s marshmallow frosting.
By Rosie Hopegood • Published
Christmas dinner pie
This mouth-watering Christmas dinner pie has to be one of the best ways to use up your leftover Christmas food. It's the perfect Boxing Day treat...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Why is there an egg shortage? Here’s why supermarkets are running out of eggs
Find out why is there an egg shortage, as some supermarkets see their shelves left empty as a result of the issue
By Ellie Hutchings • Published
Cadbury issue warning over Easter egg scam on WhatsApp
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
WhatsApp users warned over free beer scam ahead of Fathers' Day
Mobile phone users are being warned about a WhatsApp free beer scam that's doing the rounds.
By Selina Maycock • Published