This paprika chicken casserole is quick to prepare, then you can just leave it to simmer and bubble on the hob.
We love a one-pot dinner. This is packed with so many flavoursome vegetables, you don't need to cook anything else on the side. Serve with crusty pieces of bread which people can use to mop up the delicious, bright sauces. If you prefer, you can make potatoes as well - plain boiled and tossed in melted butter, or a creamy mash would both work well. Paprika is a brilliant spice for chicken curry. It's the cornerstone of Hungarian cooking, adding a warm, earthy flavour and a brilliant orange hue to many of their dishes, and it's popular in India and Morocco too. Paprika is related to chillies, but without the fieriness. You can get hotter versions, but we've used a mild one here to keep the dish family-friendly.
- 1 tbsp mild paprika
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 900ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 100g green beans, trimmed and halved
- 100g baby plum tomatoes
- To make this chicken casserole, sprinkle the paprika over the chicken portions and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the chicken portions over a high heat until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and fry for 5-6 mins. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute then gradually add the stock, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil.
- Return the chicken to the casserole and add the carrots. Cover and simmer gently for 35 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in the yellow pepper, beans and tomatoes and cover and simmer for a further 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender.
Top Tip for making paprika chicken casserole
For a richer tomato sauce replace 300ml of the stock with 300ml passata or a 400ml can chopped tomatoes.
You might also like...
Read our tried and tested reviews of the best slow cookers.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Sausage casserole recipe
This easy sausage casserole recipe combines cannellini beans, plum tomatoes, and potatoes into one hearty dinner...
By Jessica Dady Last updated
This chicken casserole recipe is a hearty meal that uses all the joints of chicken and plenty of root vegetables...
By Jessica Dady Published
Chicken, apple and prune casserole
This chicken, apple and prune casserole is the perfect date night dish, lovingly marinaded overnight for the best flavours.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
When does winter start? The first day of winter 2023
When does winter start? We reveal when the first day of winter will be in 2023, and answer your questions about the coldest season.
By Lucy Wigley Published
These pumpkin-shaped cinnamon rolls are the perfect autumnal treat - and they cost less than £3 to make
By Ellie Hutchings Published