This casserole is easy to make and really filling - a proper plate of comfort food.
Our sausage and potato casserole is so easy to make and takes just over half an hour. There are only six ingredients in total and the only prep is halving the potatoes, chopping up a pepper and slicing the onion. You can cook the whole thing in one pan too, to save on washing up. There's plenty to feed four people here. You can even bulk it up a bit more by adding a drained tin of cannellini, borlotti or kidney beans. There's no need to cook extra potatoes because they're already in the dish, but we do like to serve this with some crusty baguette to mop up all the juices.
This recipe is part of our cheap family meals (opens in new tab) collection – under £1 a head
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500g new potatoes, halved
- 454g pack sausages
- 1 onion, sliced (200g)
- 1 green pepper, diced (170g)
- 340g jar tomato pasta sauce
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the potatoes and sausages for 5 mins.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook for a further 5 mins, turning the sausages occasionally until browned.
- Add the pasta sauce, rinse the jar out with a splash of water and add to the pan. Cook, covered for 15 mins. Serve.
Top tip for making sausage and potato casserole:
When you're storing your potatoes, prevent them from sprouting by putting an apple in the bag with the them. Apples give off a gas called ethylene which stops your spuds from sprouting.