A zesty summer lemonade that's great on hot summer days. And it can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- 200g (7oz) pearl barley
- Pared zest and juice of 4 lemons
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 125-150g (4-5oz) raspberries
- Place the pearl barley in a sieve and rinse it with boiling water to wash off any dusty residue.
- Pour 2 litres (3½ pints) water into a saucepan, add the pearl barley and lemon rind and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then simmer the mixture for about 30 mins.
- Strain the mixture into a jug and add the sugar, stirring until it's dissolved, then pour in the lemon juice and leave the mixture to cool.
- Crush the raspberries using a potato masher, then strain the juice into the bowl with the barley water. Chill the cordial.
- When ready to use, dilute the cordial to taste, with approximately equal quantities of cold water. The cordial may be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge.
Top Tip for making Pink lemonade
Don't pour the lemonade into sealed bottles until just before the picnic as it may start to ferment slightly. Not suitable for freezing.