If you're after a quick starter to serve before Christmas dinner, try salmon and quails eggs. It's tasty, takes only minutes to make and looks really impressive too!
- 12 quails' eggs (most good supermarkets stock these)
- 2tsp hot horseradish / 4 tsp horseradish sauce
- 200ml carton crème fraîche
- 8 thin slices rye bread
- 8-12 slices smoked salmon
- 150g bag wild rocket
- 4tsp olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 lemons, each cut into 6 wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add the quails' eggs to a pan of boiling water. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 2½ minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Peel, rinse and drain.
- Just before serving, mix the horseradish into the crème fraîche in the carton, then put a heaped teaspoonful on each serving plate, on one side, and smear it down with the spoon, if you like. Start toasting the bread.
- Halve the quails' eggs. Arrange the salmon and eggs on the plate, then add a few rocket leaves on top. 4 Drizzle each plate with a little olive oil and squeeze lemon juice over, saving 8 lemon wedges for garnish. Grind black pepper over. Serve with the toast.
Top Tip for making Smoked salmon with eggs
The eggs can be boiled and peeled the day before and kept in a bowl or polybag in the fridge. Quails' eggs are great for snacking on, so buy two packs and keep the extras, peeled, in the fridge ready for peckish moments. They stay fresh for up to two days.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Gluten-free smoked salmon tartlets
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Slimming World's smoked salmon, cottage cheese and rocket rolls
Quick and easy party food from Slimming World. These smoked salmon rolls will be on the table (and in their mouths!) in no time
By Slimming World • Published
Salmon pasta with crème fraîche
This salmon pasta with leeks, broccoli, green beans and parsley is easy to make and tastes delicious - plus it gives you a healthy dose of omega-3 too.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
This easy apple pie recipe is a real classic. Made traditionally with stewed apples and a rich buttery pastry you just can't go wrong...
By Jessica Dady • Published
This Peshwari naan recipe is simple and makes a great Indian cuisine side dish. They only take minutes to cook and complete any classic Indian dish...
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Hairy Bikers' chicken and wild mushroom pie
A tender chicken and rich wild mushroom pie recipe by The Hairy Bikers. Ready in just six simple steps...
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Dolce Gusto Infinissima coffee machine starter kit is now less than £70 - perfect for coffee lovers
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
You NEED this Christmas recipe book if you have a child with food allergies
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published