A brilliant salmon and cod fish pie recipe with a flavoursome mash topping made with celeriac, or celery root. Jamie Oliver says 'Sophie has a great style of cooking and recipes that you really want to eat'.
Like this? You're going to love our classic fish pie recipe!
- Olive oil
- 80g (½ cup) of chopped onions
- 2 leeks, white part only, chopped
- 100 (1 cup) of sliced mushrooms
- 400g (13oz) 1 cod fillet, cut into chunks, or a mix of half salmon, half cod
- 175g/1 cup raw peeled prawns or shrimps
- 375ml (1½ cups) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tbsp butter
- 2tbsp arrowroot
- 2tbsp fresh parsley
- 1tbsp fresh dill
- 1 slug of white wine (optional)
For the celeriac mash:
- 2 small celeriac
- A little milk
- Knob of butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC/160ºC/gas 4.
- First, make the celeriac mash. Peel the celeriac and cut into chunks, then boil until tender. Transfer to a blender, add a little milk, a knob of butter and some salt and pepper and whiz to a puree. Put in a bowl and put to one side.
- In a saute pan, heat 1tbsp of olive oil and sweat the onions and leeks for a few mins. Remove to a plate and keep on the side. In the same frying pan, cook the mushrooms for a few mins until lightly golden. Put them to the side with the onion and leeks.
- Place the fish and prawns/shrimp in a larger pan, cover with the milk and add the bay leaf. Poach for no longer than 4 mins. Remove the fish from the pan and put to the side but keep the milk, checking for any bones or skin. Remove if you find any, and decant the milk into a Pyrex jug as you are about to use it again.
- In your big pan, melt the butter on a low heat and gently stir in the arrowroot until you have a roux. Slowly pour in the reserved milk. Add the herbs, onions, leeks, mushrooms and the fish. You could also add a slug of white wine here. Make sure everything is covered.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and cover with the mashed celeriac. If you're making it all in one it needs only 10 mins in a preheated oven at 180ºC/160ºC/gas 4. If you're cooking the fish pie from cold, it will take about 30 mins.
Top Tip for making Sophie Dahl's fish pie with celeriac mash
A roux is a basic white sauce, which can also be made using flour if you don't have arrowroot. See our step-by-step video which shows you how to make a roux and white sauce
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Broccoli and salmon pasta
This superfood-packed broccoli and salmon pasta recipe is full of protein and contains a third of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Salmon pasta with crème fraîche
This salmon pasta with leeks, broccoli, green beans and parsley is easy to make and tastes delicious - plus it gives you a healthy dose of omega-3 too.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Baked cod in breadcrumbs
This delicious Baked cod in breadcrumbs recipe is a great alternative to takeaway fish and chips - it's a low-calorie version which is much healthier
By Jessica Dady Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published