Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This richly coloured and delicious soup is particularly warming on a cold day and is wholesome and nutritious. Served with crusty bread it makes a filling lunch. Chorizo sausage gives a wonderfully spicy flavour and makes this potato soup extra special. This dish would be perfect as a starter to a Spanish style feast. If you want to add more to this soup and make it into a hearty main you could add chicken or fish to the mix. This delicious meal takes only 40 mins to prepare and cook and can serve up to 4 people. Store leftovers in an airtight container or Tupperware in the fridge for up to 2 days. Make sure you reheat thoroughly before serving again.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 225g chorizo, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 hot red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 50g red lentils
- 500ml hot vegetables stock
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan or deep sauté pan. Add the chorizo and fry gently for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the onion, garlic and chillis. Fry gently for about 10 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the potatoes and lentils then pour in the stock.
- Stir in the paprika, thyme and salt and pepper. Stir everything together well then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are softened and tender. Serve piping hot, garnished with the parsley.
Top Tip for making Spanish-style potato and chorizo soup
Ordinary paprika is fine for this recipe but a sweet paprika is particularly good and is usually readily available in the shops. It is also available in a smoky variety too which gives a delicious flavour to this soup.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Gordon Ramsay's cream of cauliflower soup
This velvety smooth cauliflower soup is by celeb chef Gordon Ramsay. Read in just 30 minutes...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
This 11p lunch is perfect for saving money as living costs rise
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
These 7 everyday clothing items could get drivers FINED up to £5,000 - do you wear them at the wheel?
By Selina Maycock • Published