Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Foccacia is a delicious bread particularly when it's studded with olives, sundried tomatoes and mozzarella.
Learn how to make focaccia from scratch with this recipe. This recipe serves six to eight people. A portion of this bread is just 295 calories per serving.
For the base:
- 500g (1lb) strong, plain white flour
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 level tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 level tsp fine salt
For the topping:
- 10 mini mozzarella balls (½ x 150g packet,drained)
- 70g packet pitted olives, black, greenor mixed, halved
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes in oil,drained and sliced
- 1tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1-2tbsp virgin olive oil, or oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 level tbsp coarse rock salt
- Baking sheet, buttered
- To make the base: Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the yeast, sugar and salt. Add the olive oil to 300ml (½ pint) warm water and pour it into the flour. Mix all the ingredients together to form a dough. Knead dough for 8-10 mins, until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle about 30 x 20cm (12 x 8in)and place it on the baking sheet. Cover the dough with a tea towel or with oiled cling film and leave it in a warm place for 45 mins, or until it has doubled insize.
- Use the tips of your fingers to firmly press through the dough, to create dimples in the surface. Scatter over the mozzarella balls, olives, sun-dried tomato, rosemary and salt. Press the ingredients lightly into the dough. Cover dough and leave it for a further 5-10 mins.
- Set the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C.
- Drizzle over olive oil. Bake loaf in the centre of the oven for 15 mins, and then turn the temperature down to gas mark 4 or 180°C and cook for 15-20 mins, or until the loaf is an even, golden colour and sounds hollow when tapped on its base. If the topping starts to brown too quickly, cover with a sheet of foil or baking parchment.
- Slide the loaf on to a wire rack. Serve the loaf warm or cold. Not suitable for freezing.