Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
These afternoon tea cupcakes make the perfect addition to your afternoon tea spread. You can easily make a whole bunch of them to serve at a birthday party if you want to swap a classic birthday cake for something a little different that's easier to share. With this cupcake recipe (opens in new tab), you can get creative with the colours you use to decorate them if you'd like to do something a little different.
- 60g plain flour
- 60g self-raising flour
- 30g cornflour
- 30g custard powder
- 6 eggs
- 125g caster sugar
For the topping and filling:
- 600ml double cream
- 2½ tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp good-quality vanilla extract
- Punnet of fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC and line the trays with about 16 cupcake cases.
- Combine all the flours together and sift together three times.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk all the eggs for 1-2 mins using an electric mixer on medium speed, then turn up the speed and whisk for 10 mins. Add the caster sugar gradually, beating until the sugar has dissolved, then beat on high for a further 10 mins until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Fold the mixture into the flour until just combined then fill the cupcake cases to three-quarters full and bake for around 15 mins depending on your oven. Test by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they are done. Remove from the trays and cool on wire racks for 30 mins before cutting.
- For the topping, add the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until it's thick enough to pipe. Put 8 strawberries to one side and chop the rest into smallish pieces. Take half the cream mix and fold in the chopped strawberries, then spoon into the hole in the middle of the cakes.
- Use the rest of the cream to pipe a swirl on the top and decorate with half a strawberry and any other decorations you wish to use. I used a butterfly cutter and then painted it with food colour.
Top Tip for making Afternoon tea cupcakes
Victoria says: 'I like to use the large side of the melon baller to cut the hole (in the cakes) but you can use a sharp knife.'
You might also like…
Chocolate cupcake recipe (opens in new tab)
Vanilla cupcakes recipe (opens in new tab)
Afternoon tea ideas (opens in new tab)
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Video recipe! Smoked trout pate
goodtoknow has lots of easy Christmas recipes like Smoked Trout Mousse. Check out our easy step-by-step guide to making these Christmas starters with our new baking video below.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Video recipe: Phil Vickery's ginger biscuits
These ginger biscuits look lovely and festive hanging from the tree at Christmas and they taste great too! Follow along in our easy step-by-step video recipe visit goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes
By Phil Vickery • Published
Our easy butterfly buns recipe is perfect for kids. We've kept our butterfly cake recipe simple - just slice the tops off and fill with buttercream and jam...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Who won The Great British Sewing Bee? The 2022 champion revealed
Here's who won The Great British Sewing Bee last night...
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
Cyber Monday travel deals: Save on trips at British Airways, easyJet and Virgin Atlantic with these late Black Friday discounts
By Grace Walsh • Published