Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This whole roasted cauliflower with thyme and cheese sauce is a great main for vegetarians (opens in new tab) and tastes as good as it looks. However, you could also serve the whole roasted cauliflower with thyme and cheese sauce as a show stopping side to your roast dinner (opens in new tab). It’s a sophisticated twist on a cauliflower cheese (opens in new tab) and truly is comfort food at its finest. Making your own cheese sauce might seem like a faff but it’s super easy and the results are really worth it. At less than 250 calories per serving, you’ll be impressed with how indulgent this whole roasted cauliflower tastes. We think this recipe would go perfectly with a roast beef or for something equally as fancy, give our beef wellington (opens in new tab) recipe a try…
- 2 red onions, thickly sliced
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 2tsp thyme leaves plus a few extra
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- zest and juice ½ lemon
For the cheese sauce:
- 3tbsp butter
- 3tbsp flour
- 175ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 200g grated strong cheddar, grated
- 20g parmesan cheese, grated
- For the cauliflower, make a rub with the thyme leaves, garlic and lemon zest, season really well with salt and pepper and bring together with olive oil. Rub this all over the cauliflower and roast for 30-35mins.
- Whilst the cauliflower is roasting, make the cheese sauce: heat the butter and flour until bubbling and add the milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly, add the bay leaf. Once thickened and cooked through remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheddar. Mix until the cheese has melted.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and sprinkle over the Parmesan and extra thyme leaves. Return to the oven to 15-20mins to finish roasting.
- Remove and cut in wedges or slices to serve.
Top Tip for making Whole roasted cauliflower with thyme and cheese sauce
If you’re short on time use a shop bought cheese sauce.