Is it possible to predict the gender of your baby using old wives tales about pregnancy? Some people certainly think so!
Old wives tales about pregnancy to predict the sex of your baby differ from the popular Nub Theory or the ancient art of baby gender prediction using a Chinese birth chart. This is because it's less about definite dates or ultrasound scans and more about noticing changes, feelings and subtle signs throughout your pregnancy that might point to whether you are having a boy or a girl.
Some people swear by these old wives' tales about pregnancy that have been passed down through generations. We've whittled down all the best ones below. From the classic 'carrying the baby high or low' and Ramzi Theory to particularly niche symptoms of pregnancy and bizarre pregnancy cravings that could all help you predict the gender of your baby before your 18 week scan.
So whether you're eager to find out what the sex of your baby is before the scan or want a bit of direction to help you while thinking about baby names, have a browse through the most popular old wives tales about pregnancy below.
Old wives tales about pregnancy to predict your baby's gender
1. It's a girl if... Starting on a common baby gender prediction method, apparently if you're carrying your baby quite high then you're expecting a girl.
2. It's a boy if... You keep getting headaches. A common pregnancy symptom is headaches, but apparently this relates specifically to carrying boys. Any mother of boys could probably testify to this after birth - beforehand however, we're not so sure.
3. It's a girl if... Your boobs have suddenly taken on huge proportions. While some of us might like a cup-sized boost we're almost certain breasts swell during every pregnancy - but if you say so....
4. It's a boy if... You aren't sleeping very much. This could also have something to do with growing another human inside you, back ache, stomach pain, but according to old wives tales, it points to you carrying a baby boy.
5. It's a girl if... The baby's dad hasn't put on weight. Now you might be thinking, 'what's that got to do with it?' but don't shoot the messenger, that's just what we've heard.
6. It's a boy if... You're looking radiant and fabulous. You know that glow people speak of while you're pregnant? Well apparently it indicates that you're carrying a little boy.
7. It's a girl if... Your face changes. That's all there is to that one so we're not entirely sure in what way your face should change, or how far the transformation will go, but we can only hope it's tantamount to the best facial going. .
8. It's a boy if... You pick up a mug by its handle. Yes, that really is one.
9. It's a girl if... The hair on your legs is growing normally (as opposed to more than normal).
10. It's a boy if... In case you thought these were going a little mainstream, this old wives' tale claims that if your nose widens you're in for a baby boy at the end of your nine months.
11. It's a girl if... You can eat bread but hate eating the end bit of a loaf of bread. This has nothing to do with previous preferences, obviously.
12. It's a boy if... Your mum's hair colour is naturally grey. We assume they mean your mother's hair has turned grey in later life, not that she was born with grey hair - but we wouldn't rule anything out.
13. It's a girl if... Your other half's avoiding you due to your mood swings of mammoth proportions. Mood wings are perfectly normal during pregnancy and natural due to hormones, but if you feel much tetchier than usual, perhaps you're due to have a baby girl.
14. It's a boy if... You like eating the end of a loaf of bread. Like number 11, but the opposite.
15. It's a girl if... You haven't suffered from morning sickness. Sugar and spice, etc...
16. It's a boy if... You're not the only one piling on the pounds and your partner's gaining weight right along with you. They call it supportive scoffing in some parts of the world.
17. It's a girl if... According to old wives tales about pregnancy, if a threaded needle held over your hand swings in circles you're having a girl (and if it goes side to side instead, it's a boy).
18. It's a boy if... Your wedding ring suspended on thread over your bump moves from side to side.
19. It's a girl if... While in bed, you sleep with your pillow facing south...
20. It's a boy if... While in bed, you sleep with your pillow to the north. If your bedroom isn't laid out to accommodate this you should probably move on to a different old wives tale about pregnancy.
21. It's a girl if... Your hair gets reddish highlights to it. If you've got black hair this one probably doesn't apply to you, and perhaps everyone else.
22. It's a boy if... A threaded needle held over your hand swings sideways.
23. It's a girl if... Your face has become rounder and you have rosy cheeks. We've found eating doughnuts can also have this effect.
24. It's a boy if... You're in labour during the full moon. So just keep the moon's cycles in mind when you're trying for a little one then.
25. It's a girl if... This one we really hope is true. Apparently you can forget not being able to sleep during pregnancy if you're expecting a little lady, instead you'll sleep like a baby.
26. It's a boy if... Your feet are always cold. If between November and February this could also signal winter.
27. It's a girl if... You can't stop eating sweet things. This one's obvious, you know how the rhyme goes. Sugar and spice and all things nice, that's what little girls are made of.
28. It's a boy if... You're carrying the baby low. We're not sure if this has anything to do with impatience to be born, but we like to think it does.
29. It's a girl if... You're not getting headaches. Just like the one about if you're having headaches you're having a boy, but different.
30. It's a boy if... You can't eat enough meat or cheese and are craving them!
31. It's a girl if... When you're asked to show someone your hands, you show them palm up. Warning: People could trick you with this one by specifically asking to see your palms. Be alert.
32. It's a boy if... You're craving salt or salty foods. Again, nothing to do with previous preferences.
33. It's a girl if... You're always drinking orange juice, you can't get enough of it. We're guessing this means more than one glass a day, but we can't be sure.
34. It's a boy or girl if... We've really saved the best 'til (almost) last. It's an old baby gender prediction tale that mixing your urine with drain cleaner will show the sex of the baby. 'The drano test' supposedly detects something in a pregnant woman's urine that will change the colour of the drano to show the sex of the baby. Bluish yellow means it's a boy and greenish brown means it's a girl.
35. It's a boy or girl if... Baking soda has a similar reaction. Apparently, women expecting a boy who add their urine to baking soda will find that it fizzes, whilst those with a girl in the oven won't get a reaction. Apparently, it's to do with changes in hormones and the level of acid in your wee - who knew?
36. It's a girl if... Your wedding ring suspended on thread over your bump moves in circles.
Video of the Week:
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Rosie is an experienced food and drinks journalist who has spent over a decade writing about restaurants, cookery, and foodie products. Previously Content Editor at Goodto.com and Digital Food Editor on Woman&Home, Rosie is well used to covering everything from food news through to taste tests. Now, as well as heading up the team at SquareMeal - the UK's leading guide to restaurants and bars - she also runs a wedding floristry business in Scotland called Lavender and Rose.
The adorable sign Prince Louis can’t wait to be a future King like his brother Prince George
The Wales youngster made a telling move during a secret visit to the Strictly Come Dancing studios
By Selina Maycock Published
This baby name is giving 'retro chic' vibes and it's predicted to be a top choice for parents in 2024 – would you choose it?
It’s stolen the limelight right at the last minute
By Daniella Gray Published