This beef and beetroot salad is anything but boring, packed with tasty veg and delicious, succulent steak.
It's easy to create and makes a delicious summertime dinner or weekend lunch when you want something special but simple. Beef is a big flavour so when you use steak in a salad, you need big, bold flavours to go with it - beetroot is perfect for this. Chargrilling the courgette and peppers gives them a great taste too, which really compliments the juiciness of the steak. This salad serves two and makes a lovely romantic meal, but you can easily multiply the ingredients if you're cooking for more people.
- 150g (5oz) rump steak, trimmed of all fat
- 2½ tsp olive oil
- ½ red and ½ yellow pepper, deseeded and halved
- 1 large courgette, trimmed and cut into 8 long, thin slices
- 4-6 cooked baby beetroot, cut into wedges
- Handful of rocket and chard leaves per person
- 4 tsp sweet chilli sauce, for serving
- Rub the steak on both sides with ½ tsp of the oil and leave at room temperature for 10 mins, then cook it on a hot griddle for 2-3 mins each side. Set aside for 10 mins on a plate.
- Brush the vegetable strips with the rest of the oil and griddle until browned and tender. Arrange them on 2 warm plates.
- Cut the steak into thin slices and arrange among the vegetables, with the beetroot wedges. Add rocket and chard leaves, and serve with a little dish of chilli sauce, for dipping. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top tip for making beef and beetroot salad
Rump is a great meat for this, and one of the more inexpensive cuts of beef. This salad is a great way to make a little of something go a long way.
You might also like...