These Creme Egg pancakes are the ultimate Pancake Day Sweet Treat.
It might sound somewhat sacrilegious to mix Creme Eggs (an Easter treat) and Shrove Tuesday (the last pre-fasting meal before Lent). But when they when they work this well together, who cares? This recipe ingeniously uses every part of the Creme Egg - nothing goes to waste. The chocolate gets melted into the batter, and the delicious goo becomes the perfect icing-like topping. Creme Eggs are only available in the UK during Creme Egg season (1 January - Easter Sunday). Their makers, Cadbury, say this is to keep them 'special'. We think it works too, so get some while you can and try this brilliant treat. If you prefer a classic batter, try our easy pancake recipe (opens in new tab) instead.
- 3 Cadbury Creme eggs
- 225ml milk, plus an extra 2 tsp
- 75g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Carefully cut the creme eggs in half down the seam and pull apart. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the 'goo' into a small saucepan. Add the 2 tsp milk and set aside (there's no need to mix them yet).
- Break the milk chocolate shells into pieces in a small bowl with 125ml of the milk. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate and milk has melted together. Allow to cool slightly.
- To make the pancakes, place the flour in a bowl, with the egg and remaining 100ml milk and the chocolate milk mix. Whisk together to form a batter.
- Dip a piece of rolled up kitchen paper into the oil and rub over an 18cm pancake pan, then heat over a moderate heat. Pour 2-3 tbsp of the chocolate batter into the pan, tilting it so that the batter covers the base thinly and evenly.
- Cook for about 1 min, or until the pancake is set and coloured underneath. Loosen the edges with a palette knife then either turn the pancake over or toss. Cook the second side for about 30 secs, or until just set.
- Slide the pancake onto a plate, cover with baking parchment or foil and keep warm. Use the oil to cook the remaining batter in the same way, to make another 7 pancakes. Add each one to the warm plate, layering with baking parchment.
- Place the pan with the goo and milk over a moderate heat, until melted. Try not to stir the mixture, just gently shake the pan. To serve, fold the pancakes into triangles and drizzle the goo over the top.
Top tips for making Cadbury Creme Egg chocolate pancakes
If you find it easier, you can melt the goo in the microwave. Rather than a pan, extract it into a microwaveable bowl zap it microwave on high power for 10-20 secs (depending on microwave rating). Gently stir in the 2tsp milk.
To make the pancakes even more indulgent, why not drizzle them with some zigzags of melted chocolate and top with some freshly whipped cream.
You might also like...
Creme Egg recipes
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
An easy, delicious pancake recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make - the perfect weekend treat or Pancake Day go-to...
By Jessica Dady • Published
These delicious lemon meringue pancakes combine crunchy meringues mixed in with tangy lemon, sweet cream and tasty pancakes for an indulgent breakfast or delicious dessert idea.
By Charlotte Gunn • Published
Make like the Bake Off contestants and make these fabulous lace pancakes for dessert tonight - everyone will be impressed at their intricacy
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Kinder Surprise salmonella warning issued as chocolate eggs RECALLED ahead of Easter
By Selina Maycock • Published
Costa HOT CROSS BUN lattes and hot chocolates are here for Easter 2022
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published