This simple chicken and tomato pasta bake is always a family favourite.
It makes a great family supper to share around the dinner table, with just the right amount of tang from the tomatoes, plus an unctuously creamy cheese sauce. We've topped this with melting mozzarella so every bite is cheesy and delicious. You can use any kind of pasta shapes you like in this dish. We've used macaroni because they keep their pleasing twisty shape well in the baked sauce. Cavatappi - a bigger, wider version of macaroni, are a good choice too. This dish is lovely served with a frizzy green salad, but you could also add some garlic bread on the side if you like.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 400g skinless chicken breast fillet, cut into chunks
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil, plus leaves to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g dried pasta shapes
- 150g ready-grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins until just softened. Add the chicken and fry for a further 5 mins, until browned all over. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and basil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer gently for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta shapes in a large pan of lightly salted water according to the packet instructions. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Drain the pasta shapes and stir in to the chicken and tomato sauce. Transfer to a shallow heatproof dish and sprinkle over the grated mozzarella. Bake for 15-20 mins until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve garnished with basil leaves and a sprinkling of ground black pepper.
Watch how to make our chicken and tomato pasta bake...
Top tips for making chicken and tomato pasta bake
Sun-dried tomato paste has a more intense and earthy flavour than ordinary tomato puree. You'll find it in tubes or jars near the canned tomatoes in the supermarket
Can I make this pasta bake in advance?
Yes - here's how. Leave the pasta and chicken and tomato sauce to cool in the dish without the cheese topping. Cover and chill for up to 24 hrs. Then all you have to do is sprinkle with the cheese and cook at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for 25-30 mins until piping hot.
You might also like...