This easy chicken in black bean sauce stir is both delicious and nutritious.
Our recipe for chicken in black bean sauce is ready in just 20 minutes, contains a third of your recommended iron intake and a portion of veg - it’s the ideal healthy alternative to a classic Chinese takeaway. Serve this chicken in black bean sauce with either rice or noodles, wholegrain if you want to make this dish even healthier, and you’ll have a perfect dinner. For the complete fakeaway experience, whip up some homemade fortune cookies (opens in new tab) to open before your stir-fry, complete with personalised messages.
- 400g bellaverde broccoli
- 30ml/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 60ml/4 tbsp unsalted cashew nuts
- 4 chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 2.5cm/1in piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 4tbsp/60ml Chinese cooking wine (or dry sherry)
- 6 tbsp/90ml black bean sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make this chicken breast recipe (opens in new tab), wash and prepare the broccoli by trimming a little off the end of each spear. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the cashews and stir fry for 1 min or until they are golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the wok and stir fry for 5 mins, or until pale golden. Add the broccoli and 3 tbsp water stir fry for a further 1 min, then cover and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Remove the lid, stir in the ginger, garlic and onions then stir fry for a further 1 min. Add the wine or sherry and black bean sauce, followed by the cashews. Serve straight away with rice or noodles.
Tips for making easy chicken in black bean sauce:
If your black bean sauce is too watery, add about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch for every cup of liquid in the recipe. But don’t go too overboard, otherwise your sauce will be too thick.
You might also like…
Chinese sticky ribs (opens in new tab)
Prawn toasts (opens in new tab)
Beef in black bean sauce (opens in new tab)