This chocolate and orange marble cake is the perfect treat for Jaffa cake-lovers.
Chocolate and orange are a match made in heaven. Smothered with a thick layer of chocolate icing with orange peel, the inside of this cake reveals a picture-perfect marble effect. We’ve used two different parts of the orange, cocoa powder and solid chocolate to really amp up the flavours. While the unique appearance of this cake makes it ideal for a special occasion, this cake takes just over an hour to make from start to finish, so it’s a great choice for any event.
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1tbsp cocoa powder blended with 2tbsp hot water
For the icing:
- 100g (4oz) plain chocolate
- 15g (½ oz) butter
- 1tbsp golden syrup
- Strips of orange rind, for decoration
- Put the sugar, butter, flour, baking powder and eggs in a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk for 3 to 4 mins until pale and creamy.
- Transfer half the mixture into a second bowl. Into this mixture, fold the orange juice and rind. Fold the cocoa into the first bowl.
- Spoon the two mixtures randomly into a greased, lined 18 x 25cm (7 x 10in) cake tin. Draw a knife through the mixture to create the marble effect.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4) for 35 to 40 mins until firm. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins, then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the icing, place the chocolate, butter and syrup in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and leave until melted. Remove from the heat, stir until smooth and leave to thicken.
- Spread over the cake. Cut into 8 slices and decorate with orange rind.
Tips for making chocolate and orange marble cake:
Keep to the exact quantities for this cake. Too much chocolate or too much orange juice will disrupt the marbling effect in the final product.
You might also like…
Mary Berry's chocolate cake (opens in new tab)
Chocolate orange cake (opens in new tab)
Chocolate orange brownies (opens in new tab)