Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Top your fish pie with a crunchy filo pastry for a different texture to your meal. This easy recipe uses ready-made pastry for speed. This recipe serves 8 people and will take 50 mins to make. A portion of this delicious fish pie works out at only 463 calories per serving. This family-sized fish pie has a golden, crisp pastry topping which works wonders with the soft, creamy fish pie filling. Serve this bake with fresh greens like peas, asparagus, spinach and kale.
Like this? You're going to love our classic fish pie recipe!
- 250g pack filo pastry (8 sheets)
For the filling
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 600ml (1 pint) fish stock
- 100ml (31⁄2fl oz) white wine
- About 1kg (21⁄4lb) mixed fish (salmon, cod or haddock, scallops and raw prawns)
- 60g (2oz) plain flour
- 90g (3oz) softened butter
- 200ml carton crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh chopped parsley
- 3-4 tomatoes, quartered, deseeded and pieces halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
You will also need
- Large, shallow ovenproof dish
- Put the onion and bay leaf in a pan with the stock and wine. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the larger pieces of fish. Simmer for 1 minute, add the scallops and prawns, then cover and poach gently for 2-3 minutes until the prawns change colour. Remove from the heat and take the fish out of the pan with a draining spoon on to a baking tray.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Mix the flour and half the butter into a paste. Reheat the poaching liquid, and reduce it to 600ml (1 pint). Remove the bay leaf. Whisk small portions of paste into the liquid to form a sauce. Boil for 2 minutes. Add the crème fraîche, tomato purée, lemon zest, parsley, tomato and seasoning, and stir in the fish.
- Melt the other half of the butter. Brush 1 sheet of filo pastry with it and put another sheet on top, and put on the pie, tucking in the edges. Butter the remaining sheets, crumple each oneupandputontopofthe pie. Bake for 25 minutes in the middle of the oven until pastry is golden and crisp.
Top Tip for making Filo pastry fish pie
You can make your own selection of fish, or look out for frozen bags of mixed fish or fresh packs of "fish pie" mix.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie
The Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie recipe is an absolute classic. Learn how to make a rich meaty pie filling and soft buttery pastry...
By Hairy Bikers • Published
James Martin cottage pie
James Martin cottage pie is a twist on the classic pie, using tinned ingredients to make it even easier to cook. This pie feeds four and makes a great family dinner.
By James Martin • Published
Cottage pies in baked potatoes
These cottage pies in baked potatoes were created by celebrity chef Antony Worrall Thompson and they look absolutely delightful, despite being pretty simple to make.
By Antony Worrall Thompson • Published
Chocolate orange cake
This more-ish chocolate orange cake is great for making with the kids in the holidays. Make sure you get first dibs on licking the chocolate bowl though!
By Jessica Dady • Published
Gordon Ramsay's Black Forest cake
A beautiful, decadent Black Forest cake with moist chocolate sponge and kirsch-soaked cherries. A truly epic teatime treat.
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Prawn toast is incredibly easy to make yourself and so delicious it's almost criminal. This recipe for prawn toast is prepped in just ten mins too.
By Jessica Dady • Published
This Ferrero Rocher pastry recipe has just four ingredients and is going viral
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Aldi is selling a sausage roll maker for under £15 and it's the ULTIMATE stocking filler for pastry lovers
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Bake Off fans are all saying the same hilarious thing about Prue Leith's outfit after pastry week
By Selina Maycock • Published