Looking for new ideas for your Sunday roast? Brighten up a simple roast chicken with an easy honey and lemon thyme rub - delicious!
Why not elevate your roast chicken by adding some delicious sage and onion stuffing with our super easy recipe.
- 1 large chicken, weighing approx. 1.8kg (4lb)
- 4 sprigs lemon thyme
- 4 tbsp honey
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas Mark 5.
- Put the chicken into a large roasting tin and put 2 sprigs of lemon thyme into the cavity of the bird.
- Mix together the honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil. Strip the leaves from the remaining sprigs of thyme and add to the mixture. Season with salt and plenty of black pepper, then rub all over the chicken’s skin.
- Roast for 20 minutes per 450g (1lb), plus 20 minutes in total. A 1.8kg (4lb) chicken will take 1 hour 40 minutes to cook. Baste the chicken 2-3 times with the cooking juices whilst it roasts and cover with foil as soon as it is golden brown.
Top Tip for making Honey and lemon thyme roast chicken
Add 1 tsp whole cumin seeds or ground cumin to the rub for a delicious Moroccan flavour.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Roasted spatchcock chicken
Roasted spatchcock chicken is quicker and easier than your usual roast bird. It's ideal for cooking on the BBQ...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Roast chicken with potato wedges
Just 5 ingredients to a tasty supper dish of roast lemon chicken legs with potato wedges. Get the recipe here
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
You can now get your Toby Carvery roast dinner delivered with Just Eat
That’s right, a roast dinner delivered to your door
By Jessica Ransom • Published