Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Thinly sliced roasted potatoes, topped with sweet tomatoes and tasty oregano and basil. These Italian roast potatoes take just 15 mins to prepare.
These tasty roast potatoes (opens in new tab) are by Two Greedy Italian stars Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo. They make a wonderfully fresh accompaniment to your roast dinner. ‘Whenever I make this dish the whole house is filled with a wonderful aroma of oregano and basil, transporting me right back to the Mediterranean,’ says Gennaro. ‘This is a wonderful accompaniment to meat or fish dishes. If you increase the quantities, makes a lovely main course in itself when served with a salad.’
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a large handful of basil leaves, roughly torn
- 300g red onions, sliced
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved and deseeded
- 1 tbsp white wine
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the olive oil into an ovenproof dish or roasting tin. Arrange a layer of the potatoes, sprinkle over a little of the oregano, season with salt and pepper and scatter over some basil leaves. Follow with a layer of onions and tomatoes and a drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Continue with another layer of potatoes and repeat the process until all the vegetables have been added to the dish. Pour over the remaining olive oil and white wine.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and loosen the potatoes from the bottom of the dish with a fork, taking care not to break them. Continue to bake for a further 15–20 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through. Serve immediately.
Top tips for making Italian roast potatoes...
Don't have any white wine to hand? Use an equal amount of vegetable or chicken stock instead.
You might also like...
Roasted sweet potatoes (opens in new tab)
Goose fat roast potatoes (opens in new tab)
Garlic roast potatoes (opens in new tab)
Crushed new potatoes
This simple crushed new potatoes salad makes a lovely easy lunchtime treat on warm summery days, or a great side dish with a barbecue.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Crushed potato salad
Forget shop bought potato salad or mayo-laiden calorie traps - this continental crushed potato salad recipe is quick, easy and packed with flavour.
By Sue McMahon • Published
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World • Last updated
Gordon Ramsay's chocolate doughnuts
Make perfect doughnuts at home with Gordon Ramsay's chocolate doughnuts recipe, made with malt powder and filled with a sweet chocolate cream.
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Pilchard fishcakes are a flavour-packed lunch or party food that makes the most of a British ingredient. Pilchards are cheap to buy and full of healthy fats.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Puff pastry minced beef pie
This delicious puff pastry minced beef pie is pleasingly easy to whip up but is always a hit with the whole family. The crisp, flaky golden pastry is a winner.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Queen's hilarious response to finding this dead creature in her dinner
The Queen's hilarious response reportedly came in the form of a surprising note after her salad contained an unexpected addition...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
The Queen's early morning sweet snack is very pricey
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published