Easy to make and perfect for kids, these mini fish pies are also high in minerals and essential vitamins.
Like this? You're going to love our classic fish pie recipe!
- 2 x 450g packets ready made, chilled creamy mashed potato
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 250g cod fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3cm)
- 250g salmon fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3 cm)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 200ml milk
- salt and pepper
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Carrot for hair (use zester to make long thin strips)
- Salad cress for hair
- Red pepper for lips
- Baby sweetcorn for nose
- Spring onion, mini cucumber and peas for eyes
- Blanched French beans for moustache
- Blanched cauliflower for ears
- Cherry tomatoes for cheeks
- Basil for bow-tie
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add the onion and sauté for 5 mins. Add the chopped tomato and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the flour and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the fish to the onion and tomato together with the parsley and bay leaf. Pour over the milk and season to taste. Simmer for about 4 mins until the fish is cooked through. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Divide the fish between the ramekin dishes (makes 4 to 6 portions according to size of dish) and top with the mashed potato.
- Brush beaten egg over the surface of the mashed potato.
- Cook in an oven pre-heated to 180C for 15 mins and finish off for a few mins under a pre-heated grill until golden.
- Decorate the pies with faces - children will enjoy designing their own if you give them a selection of vegetables.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
This beer battered fish recipe leaves you with a crisp and golden brown skin which is delicious. Serve your deep-fried fish with chips and mushy peas
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Is Gone Fishing coming back and how many episodes are there?
Fans are wondering if Gone Fishing is coming back on TV starring Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
Prince George will 'learn how to fly fish' on Cambridges' family holiday to Balmoral
By Hayley Minn • Published
Robbie Williams claims he nearly died of mercury poisoning due to fish-heavy diet
By Emma Shacklock • Published