These coffee cake muffins are the ideal afternoon treat for when you need a pick-me-up.
We've combined aromatic espresso coffee with indulgently rich dark chocolate in this recipe to create a really unique combination of flavours. The richness of the chocolate pairs perfectly with the tang of the espresso to complement each other. For the best effect, we recommend using fresh espresso from a Moka pot or even a machine. But if you can't get your hands on those, use instant espresso coffee. As long as you go for a high-quality brand and type, you should be able to produce a similar taste to freshly ground beans.
- 80g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 185g butter, melted and cooled
- 30ml espresso coffee, cooled
- 185g caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 150g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/420°F/Gas mark 7 Mix Together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, coffee and sugar to get a creamy paste, then add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix. Add the melted chocolate. Beat the egg whites then fold into the mixture. Do not mix too much,
- Pour the mixture into 12 greased muffin moulds. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the muffins are well risen but still soft to the touch. These muffins must be really moist so don’t overcook them, and don’t forget that they will solidify somewhat when cooling.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Top tips for making coffee cake muffins
Making muffins can be messy business. You don't want to lose a drop of this delicious mixture, so use an ice cream scoop to get the mixture into the cases. This will also help you measure out the mixture and avoid over-filling the cases.
You might also like...
Blueberry muffins (opens in new tab)
Banana muffins (opens in new tab)
Chocolate muffins (opens in new tab)
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Banana and bacon muffins make a delicious combo that is not to be missed. Perfect for weekend brunch these tasty muffins are full of flavour
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Chocolate orange muffins
By Jessica Dady • Published
Blueberry orange muffins
These tangy blueberry and orange muffins are so easy to make and are full of sweet berries and citrusy orange which make a great combo
By Emily Stedman • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
McDonald’s is launching a brand new Mighty McMuffin for Christmas
McDonald’s is introducing a brand new breakfast option alongside its festive menu, meet the Mighty McMuffin!
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Queen's early morning sweet snack is very pricey
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published