Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Learn how to make this classic salsa verde recipe in just 15 mins. Spoon this herby sauce (opens in new tab) over simply cooked fish, chicken or red meat to add a tasty, Italian (opens in new tab) twist to your meal.
Infused with garlic, parsley and plenty capers this salsa verde is delicious. The strong flavoured sauce, rich in texture and flavour too. Our recipe will make 200ml. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Serve your salsa verde as soon as it's been made for the best flavour and texture. One of the healthier sauces (opens in new tab) out there, a portion of our salsa verde recipe works out at only 71 calories. This recipe is the perfect option if you're looking for a lower-calorie condiment.
- 30g (1oz) flat-leaf parsley
- 30g (1oz) basil, or mint, or a mixture of both
- 1 slice white bread (about 30g/1oz)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 125g (4fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and pat the herbs dry (using a tea towel).
- Tear bread into a food processor and whizz to make crumbs. Add the red wine vinegar, then the herbs, and pulse for a few seconds to make a paste.
- Add crushed garlic, chopped anchovy fillets and 1 tbsp capers. Pulse again. Gradually add olive oil. You don't want the sauce to be too fine. Taste, add pepper and the remaining capers. Use within 2 days.
Top Tip for making Salsa verde
Variations: Add a couple of chopped gherkins or a little Dijon mustard.