Who can resist the temptation to break into a crisp pie crust and reveal what's underneath? This tasty pie has a creamy spinach and Feta filling
- 250g (8oz) filo pastry
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) pack frozen spinach
- 250g tub ricotta cheese
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) Feta cheese, diced
- 30g (1oz) pine nuts
- 20cm (8in) flan ring
- Baking sheet lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Arrange a sheet of filo pastry in the flan ring on the lined baking sheet. Brush with oil and repeat with 4 more sheets of filo, to cover the base and sides of the ring, trimming off any excess. Bake for 10 mins until pale golden.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry gently for 3 mins, and then add the garlic.
- Put the frozen spinach in a bowl and microwave on High for 5 mins. Drain through a sieve, pressing out excess liquid, and then return it to the bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the spinach and mix in the ricotta cheese, beaten egg, nutmeg, seasoning and Feta cheese. Spoon the mixture into the baked filo pastry case.
- Brush oil on the remaining 4 sheets of filo and crumple them on top of the spinach filling, pressing edges into the sides. Scatter pine nuts over the top. Bake for 30-40 mins, until the pastry is golden. Cover the top loosely with foil if it’s browning too much.
Top Tip for making Spinach, Feta and filo pie
You can use 60g (2oz) melted butter for layering up the filo sheets, instead of olive oil, if you prefer.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Easy cottage pie recipe
This classic cottage pie recipe is a family favourite and really easy to make...
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Filo pastry mince pies
Filo pastry mince pies are so easy to make and ready in 30 minutes, with a crispy base, plenty of mincemeat and a sweet marzipan top
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
James Martin cottage pie
James Martin cottage pie is a twist on the classic pie, using tinned ingredients to make it even easier to cook. This pie feeds four and makes a great family dinner.
By James Martin • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
Aldi is selling a sausage roll maker for under £15 and it's the ULTIMATE stocking filler for pastry lovers
By Naomi Jamieson • Published