Jewel-green sprouts are par-boiled and tossed in garlicky butter with soft, doughy chestnuts in this fried Brussels sprouts with chestnuts recipe.
These fried Brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish over the Christmas feasting season - either alongside the turkey or with the ham or other big roasts. And, unlike this Brussels sprouts recipe (opens in new tab), it’s vegetarian. In fact, if you swap out the butter for a plant-based spread, it’s vegan. Sprouts are so good for you - a normal 80g serving contains more vitamin C than an orange. Now frying them in butter might reduce the healthiness somewhat, but sometimes we’ll try anything to win people over to the sprout lover army - and this recipe does just that.
- 1kg (2¼lb) sprouts, trimmed
- 50g (1¾oz) butter
- 200g packet whole chestnuts, vacuum packed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the sprouts. Simmer the sprouts for 10-15 mins, or until they are just tender. Drain them well.
- Melt the butter in the hot pan that the sprouts were cooked in. Add the chestnuts and cook for 1-2 mins, turning them occasionally in the butter.
- Return the sprouts to the pan and cook for a further 1-2 mins, turning them well to coat them in the butter. Season the sprouts to taste. Keep them warm until ready to serve.
Top tips for making fried Brussels sprouts with chestnuts
Don’t over trim your sprouts - you only need to take a little off the stem and remove the outer leaves if they are yellow, wilted, or insect-damaged. Once trimmed, give them a good rinse in cold water to wash off any bugs.
You might also like...
How to cook Brussels sprouts (opens in new tab)
Brussels sprouts with bacon (opens in new tab)
Sautéed Brussels sprouts (opens in new tab)