Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This delicious, soft squash and greens tart is a great way to get the best flavour out of your veg. The tender butternut squash adds a delicious, moreish flavour to this dish with a creamy texture that works well with the buttery tart pastry. This recipe could be served as a starter and cut into slices for everyone to help themselves. You could also try making mini versions of this recipe too preparing your pastry base using cutters. Make sure you grease your baking tin before cooking this tart otherwise it will get stuck to the bottom. You could line your baking tray with greaseproof paper to make sure this doesn’t happen.
- Half a large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into even-sized pieces (about 450g prepared weight)
- 250g pack prepared broccoli, leek and cabbage, or a similar mix of veg
- 320g pack ready-rolled chilled puff pastry
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- About 100g Cropwell Bishop Blue Shropshire cheese, or use your favourite cheese
- Melt a large knob of butter in a large frying pan, add the squash, cover and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, microwave the pack of veg for 3 mins. Tip the softened squash into a bowl, add the vegetables and leave for 10 mins or more to cool.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Unroll the pastry onto a sheet of baking parchment on a sturdy baking sheet. Fold in about 1cm around the edges to make a border. Score the pastry edge for decoration and prick the base with a fork.
- Spread the cooked vegetable mixture over, then add the thyme leaves and dot with clumps of cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, near the bottom of the oven. Grind black pepper over and serve hot.
Top Tip for making Squash and greens tart
Add some meat to this dish if preferred. Already cooked chicken or ham shredded would be best sprinkled on top