Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This classic tomato soup recipe is the perfect dish to whip up on a cold winter's evening, for a starter at a dinner party or special occasion.
This delicious tomato soup recipe is ideal if you fancy a low calorie meals (opens in new tab) or a lighter dinner than usual but still want lots of nutrients. Packed with fresh tomatoes, this soup is great way to make sure you're getting your 5-a-day (opens in new tab). Not only is this tomato soup recipe a quick to make, it's healthy (opens in new tab) and filling too.
The kids are guaranteed to love it too. Who doesn't like a classic tomato soup? This nutritious tomato soup is so easy to make that we dare say you'll never buy tinned tomato soup again. Unlike canned tomato soup, you know exactly what you're putting in to your homemade soup (opens in new tab). This is one of the things that makes it a much healthier option.
We like to top off this tomato soup recipe with a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of black pepper. Throw some garnish on there too if you have any to hand. Serve your soup with a chunk of crusty bread to make it a more filling meal or just have it on its own.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 450g fresh ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, carrot and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 mins until soft.
- Score the bottom of the tomatoes with a sharp knife and place in boiling water for 2 mins.
- Transfer to a bowl of cold water and then remove the skins.
- Chop tomatoes and push through a sieve into the pan, to remove the pips.
- Add the sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Liquidise until smooth.
Watch how to make tomato soup
Top tips for making tomato soup
Store leftover soup in a Tupperware in the fridge for up to 3 days or you could freeze and keep for up to 1 month.