The Queen just confirmed some seriously huge news that will affect everyone as she celebrates milestone occassion.
- The Queen has gifted us all an extra bank holiday to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee in 2022.
- Her Majesty has rewarded the country with a four-day weekend next June.
- This royal news (opens in new tab) comes as the Queen’s heartbreaking reason for turning down this massive honour for Prince Philip (opens in new tab) is revealed.
The Queen (opens in new tab) has gifted everyone in the UK an extra bank holiday in 2022 as her majesty celebrates her 70th year on the throne.
The annual may bank holiday which usually falls on the last Monday of the month will be moved to June in order to mark the Queen's coronation milestone - in which she is the first monarch to celebrate such a long term when it comes to the royal line of succession (opens in new tab).
In addition to moving that holiday, she is giving us all an extra bank holiday day, meaning that the Queen Platinum Jubilee bank holiday will run from Thursday 2nd June until Sunday 5th June - with a special concert at Buckingham Palace (opens in new tab) on the Saturday.
A spokesman from Buckingham Palace said the extended bank holiday "will provide an opportunity for communities and people throughout the UK to come together to celebrate the milestone".
They continued, "The four days of celebrations will include public events and community activities, as well as national moments of reflection on The Queen’s 70 years of service."
And it looks set to be the first time in a long while that the whole of The Firm (opens in new tab) is expected to come together for the occasion - with the Queen expected to be seen in public with all her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren (opens in new tab).
And members of the public are excited. One tweeted, 'brb making plans for a 4 DAY BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND next year' another put, 'Yep, I'm coming to London to celebrate this historic milestone. What an incredible achievement! God save the Queen!' and a third added, 'So who is planning their 2022 time off already?'
Meanwhile, in the run-up to the Queen Platinum Jubilee bumper bank holiday, there will also be year-long Platinum Jubilee celebrations throughout the UK, the Commonwealth, and around the world as everyone comes together to celebrate the Queen's reign and seventy years of service.
An itinerary of the The Queen Platinum Jubilee bank holiday weekend celebrations is already being pulled together with the following confirmed so far;
- On Thursday 2nd June, over 1,400 parading soldiers, 200 horses, and 400 musicians will come together in the traditional parade to mark The Queen's official birthday, usually held on the second Saturday in June.
- On Friday 3rd June, a service of thanksgiving for The Queen’s reign will be held at St Paul’s Cathedral.
- On Saturday 4th June the Queen will be accompanied by members of the Royal Family as they attend the Derby at Epsom Downs.
- There will also be a Platinum Party at the Palace, where the BBC will stage and broadcast a special live concert where members of the public will be invited to apply to attend and details of the ballot for UK residents to secure tickets will be released soon.
- On Sunday, 5th June, communities are being invited to share food and fun with neighbours by organising street parties, picnics or garden BBQs, as part of The Big Lunch Jubilee.
Selina is a Senior Entertainment Writer with more than 14 years of experience in newspapers and magazines. She currently looks after all things Entertainment for Goodto.com, Woman&Home, and My Imperfect Life. Before joining Future Publishing, Selina graduated from the University of Sheffield in 2006 with a degree in Journalism. She is fully NCTJ and NCE qualified and has 100wpm shorthand. When she's not interviewing celebrities you can find her exploring new countryside walking routes, catching up with friends over good food, or making memories.
Dear Edward true story: Who was Ruben Van Assouw, who inspired the Apple+ TV series with Taylor Schilling?
Dear Edward true story: Apple+ TV brings the imagined aftermath of a real life plane crash to life, with Taylor Schilling at the helm.
By Lucy Wigley • Published
Molly-Mae Hague shares touching milestone with baby Bambi and Love Island fans are in tears
Molly-Mae Hague has shared a video of the heartwarming moment she brought her newborn daughter home with fans
By Emma Dooney • Published