Filo pastry mince pies really are a twist on a classic. Festive fruity mince pies are taken to another level with crisp filo pastry and a sweet star of almond marzipan topping.
If you find mince pies - particularly shop-bought ones - are too heavy on the pastry, this filo pastry mince pies recipe is a revelation. The filo creates a beautiful crunch that contrasts perfectly with the soft smoothness of the marzipan and the spiced sweetness of the mincemeat. Lighter to eat and quicker to make, these are great to serve at drinks parties. If you prefer something more traditional, be sure to check out our delicious, classic mince pies recipe (opens in new tab) too.
- 270g pack Jus-Rol filo pastry, defrosted if frozen
- 75g butter, melted
- 1 eating apple, coarsely grated
- 425g mincemeat
- 1 tbsp brandy or Cointreau
- 250g natural marzipan
- Oil, for brushing
- Heat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6. Brush 2 x 12-hole bun tins with oil.
- Dab a sheet of filo with melted butter, top with another sheet, then cut into 8 squares. Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets of filo, so you have 24 squares.
- Line each bun hole with a filo square, scrunching slightly around the edges to make it fit, then bake for 6-7 mins until golden.
- Squeeze out excess juice from the apple, mix with the mincemeat and booze, then divide between the cases. Roll out the marzipan to a thickness of a £1 coin, then cut out 12x5cm stars. Put one on each tart and bake for 5-6 mins, until the marzipan is tinged golden.
- Cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container and eat within 4 days.
Top tips for making filo pastry mince pies
Swap the muffin tin for a 20cm round cake tin and make one giant filo mince pie instead.
Is filo pastry different from puff pasty?
Both puff and filo pastry have crisp layers, but they're made in quite different ways. Puff pastry is made by rolling out pastry and adding flecks of butter between folds of the pastry. Filo is a much drier dough, stretched flat into very thin layers. Puff pastry is used in a single sheet and rises as it bakes, whereas filo doesn't rise and is usually used in 2-3 layers.
Is filo pastry healthier than other pastry?
Filo pastry is the lowest fat pastry. It has less than 3g fat per 100g, whereas shortcrust has around 30g.
Can I make these mince pies vegan?
These mince pies are so easy to vegan-ise! Marzipan and filo pastry are both naturally free of animal products (check individual packaging to make sure). Just swap the melted butter for some coconut oil.
You might also like…