Learn how to make these scary monster cupcakes with our step-by-step recipe. This recipe makes 12 spooky cupcakes.
The kids are going to love these monster cupcakes. Ideal for Halloween, these Halloween cupcakes (opens in new tab) are so simple to recreate at home. Each cupcake is topped with a sweet white chocolate and cream ganache. This recipe uses our basic cupcake recipe but you could use our pumpkin cupcakes (opens in new tab) recipe instead.
- 1x batch of our classic cupcake recipe (opens in new tab)
- 250g black icing (cupcakes)
- 250g green icing (face)
- 125g white icing (eyes and teeth)
- 50g orange icing (eyes)
- 100g red icing (lips)
For the ganache:
- 1.2kg white chocolate, finely chopped
- 450ml single cream
- Pastry brush
- Cranked palette knife
- Large and small rolling pins
- Circle cutter
- Small kitchen knife
- Frilling tool
- Whip up a batch of cupcakes and leave to cool. To make icing the cupcakes easier, once cooled you could 'ganache' (cover) them with the ganache mixture. To make the ganache, add the cream to a pan and bring to the boil. Then add in your chopped white chocolate and whisk together until smooth. Leave to cool and set overnight and then spread on top of your cupcakes with a palette knife.
- Next, knead the black icing to a pliable dough and roll out to 3 mm (1/8 in) thick. Using a circle cutter in the same size as the cupcakes, cut out 12 circles and stick them on the cupcakes.
- Now you need to make the head: Roll out the green icing to 3 mm(1/8 in) thick and using a circle cutter cut a circle the same size as the cupcake. Use the same cutter and cut a half section out (step 1). Stick the remaining crescent moon shape on the cupcake with a little water; align with the icing at the rim.
- To make the lips: roll a strip of red icing (the width of the cupcake) and thin it out towards the ends. Stick the roll on the joining line between the black and the green icing. Trim at the sides.
- To make the teeth: Roll one-third of the white icing to 3 mm (1/8 in) thick. Cut a strip of 2 x 10 cm (3/4 in) with a clean knife. Cut a zigzag for the teeth. Stick five to six teeth straight below the red icing.
- To make the eyes: roll pieces of the remaining white icing into pea-size balls and stick two on each monster's head. Using a frilling tool, make a hole in the centre of each ball. Roll very small balls of the orange icing and stick those into the holes of the white icing with a little water.
Top tips for making monster cupcakes
If you find you have lots of fondant leftover, wrap it in cling film and store it in a dry place until you need to use it again.
You might also like…
Chocolate cupcake recipe (opens in new tab)
Hummingbird Bakery’s vanilla cupcakes recipe (opens in new tab)
Red velvet cupcakes (opens in new tab)