This key lime pie recipe is an American classic that originates from Florida Keys. It's a simple dish which can be made in advance and served at any time of the day.
Key lime pie is named after the small Key limes that are found throughout the Florida Keys. Key limes are also grown in Mexico and South America. Make this key lime pie recipe in the summer as a sweet, fresh dessert (opens in new tab)!
Baking an American classic? Our cups to grams converter can help!
- 150g (5oz) digestive biscuits
- 75g (1oz) butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 397g (14oz) can condensed Milk
- 100ml (3 1/2floz) freshly squeezed lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Lime zest and slices, to decorate
- Put the biscuits in a bag and roll firmly with a rolling pin. Melt the butter and mix with the biscuit crumbs. Put in a 19cm flat tin and press firmly against the sides and base with the back of a spoon to make a flan case.
- Put the egg yolks and condensed milk in a bowl and mix together, then add the lime juice and zest, and stir until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Turn into the flan case, level the top and chill for 2 hrs until the filling sets. Dust with icing sugar. Decorate with grated lime zest and thin lime slices.
Top Tip for making Key lime pie
This recipe contains raw eggs and should be avoided by pregnant women and small children. For more information about this and eggs in general have a look at our Foods to avoid while pregnant article or How to choose and store eggs
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Ben & Jerry's is launching a line of doggie dessert treats
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published