Prepare a batch of these crunchy poppy seed muffins in just 15 minutes. This recipe makes 10 muffins.
These poppy seed muffins are flavoured with cherries, unlike our lemon poppy seed muffins (opens in new tab) which are infused with lemon instead. These muffins are also made with marzipan, which not only adds a creamy texture to the muffins but also makes them slightly nutty in flavour.
- 255g self raising flour
- 115g caster sugar
- 2tbsp poppy seeds
- 150g canned cherries, drained and roughly chopped
- 115g golden marzipan, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 50g butter or margarine, melted
- 175ml whole milk
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/375°F/Fan 170°C/Gas Mark 5. Line a 10 cup muffin tin with muffin or cup cake papers.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, and stir in the sugar, poppy seeds, cherries and chopped marzipan. Make a well in the centre.
- Mix together the egg, melted butter or margarine with the milk in a jug. Pour into the well and mix to form a thick, rough batter.
- Spoon into the lined muffin cases and bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 22-25 mins, until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Best served warm.
Top tips for making poppy seed muffins
These muffins make a great tasting pudding: simply serve hot, out of the papers and accompany with warm chocolate sauce and a little pouring cream.
You might also like…
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Banana and bacon muffins make a delicious combo that is not to be missed. Perfect for weekend brunch these tasty muffins are full of flavour
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Chocolate orange muffins
By Jessica Dady • Published
Blueberry orange muffins
These tangy blueberry and orange muffins are so easy to make and are full of sweet berries and citrusy orange which make a great combo
By Emily Stedman • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published