Prince Philip has died aged 99.
- Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announced today.
- The Duke of Edinburgh died "peacefully" at Windsor Castle.
- Prince Philip was hospitalised (opens in new tab) in February and underwent a heart procedure (opens in new tab).
- The Duke was discharged in March and returned to Windsor Castle (opens in new tab) to be with the Queen.
- Philip won the Queen's heart (opens in new tab) in many ways over their 73 years of marriage and she once described him as her "strength and stay".
- The sad royal news (opens in new tab) comes just months ahead of Prince Philip's 100th birthday in June.
It's been announced that The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, has died aged 99.
Buckingham Palace confirmed the news in a statement today.
"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.
"The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss," the statement reads.
Prince Philip was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London back in February after he began feeling unwell while at Windsor Castle with Her Majesty the Queen.
He was later transferred to St Bartholomew's Hospital, where he underwent a heart procedure.
He was discharged in March and returned to Windsor Castle to be with the Queen.
The Duke and Her Majesty the Queen were married for 73 years, having tied the knot in November 1947 at Westminster Abbey.
Prince Philip was by the Queen's side for the entirety of her reign and she once described him as her "strength and stay".
The palace has also confirmed that further announcements will be made in due course.
Caitlin is a Junior News Editor for Goodto.com, covering all things royal, celeb, lifestyle, food, and family. Having set her sights on becoming a magazine journalist when she was a child, Caitlin took on work experience stints at local papers and titles such as Cosmopolitan, Now, Reveal and Take a Break while studying for her Multimedia Journalism degree and has interviews with celebs, reality stars and the Archbishop of Canterbury under her belt (of course, she couldn't resist asking him about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry).
Sad reality for Prince George as 'dream job' he's 'obsessed' with can never be reached
Prince George has reportedly shown interest in becoming a police officer when he grows up
By Emma Dooney • Published
When is Clarkson’s Farm season 2 coming out? Release date confirmed, plus future of the series and Diddly Squat shop.
Clarkson’s Farm season 2 has a release date for 2023! We've shared what we know of the second series and what the future looks like for the hit Amazon show.
By Lucy Wigley • Published