Infuse this delicious chicken korma with ginger, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves.
It’s hard to believe that this mouth-watering chicken korma is just 240 calories per serving. Make the thick, creamy sauce with low-fat coconut milk, chopped tomatoes as well as plenty of aromatics. Serve this tender chicken dish with basmati rice and a garnish of freshly chopped coriander.
- 5cm (2in) piece root ginger, peeled
- 4 plump cloves garlic, peeled
- 1tbsp each ground coriander and cumin
- 1tbsp light olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- Pinch of ground cloves
- ½tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with chilli in tomato juice
- 100ml (4fl oz) low-fat coconut milk
- Freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
- Basmati rice, to serve
- Whizz the ginger, garlic, coriander and cumin with a little water in a blender to make a paste.
- Put the olive oil, bay leaves and spices in a non-stick pan. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the onion and spicy paste and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the chicken and cook until sealed, add a little water if it gets too dry.
- Add tomatoes, plus 150ml (¼ pt) water if the mixture seems too thick. Simmer until the chicken is cooked, about 15 mins. Add the coconut milk and cook for another 5 mins. Remove cinnamon and bay leaves, scatter with coriander and serve with rice.
Top tips for making chicken korma
This chicken korma recipe is also delicious with prawns instead of chicken, or you could opt for Quorn pieces for a vegetarian option. Add fresh chilies if you want to give this mild, creamy sauce a kick of spice.
At just 240 calories per serving, this chicken korma is ideal if you're on the 5:2 diet.
You might also like…
Slimming World’s chicken and potato curry
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken...
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Hairy Bikers' chicken curry
Chicken curry has to be one of our favourite recipes. You'll never look back once you've tried The Hairy Bikers' chicken curry recipe - it's so easy
By Hairy Bikers Published