Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
These shimmery, glitter-covered sparkly cupcakes are ideal for birthday parties, afternoon tea or school bake sales.
Made with fresh raspberries and blueberries, this fruity cupcake recipe (opens in new tab) is just bursting with flavour. Double cream makes these cupcakes extra luxurious. Top with an orange-infused buttercream. Dust with edible glitter and edible glitter stars for that sparkling finish.
- 125 g (41/2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml (31/2 fl oz) double cream
- 175 g (51/2 oz) self-raising flour
- 75 g (23/4 oz) fresh raspberries
- 75 g (23/4 oz) fresh blueberries
For the orange buttercream:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, sieved
- Juice of ½ orange
- Edible glitter
- Edible glitter stars
You will also need:
- Disposable piping bag
- Large star nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas Mark 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Start by creaming butter and sugar (opens in new tab) together with an electric hand whisk or beat with a wooden spoon until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in the eggs and cream until just combined. Then add the flour, whisking again until combined and fluffy. Fold through the raspberries and blueberries.
- Divide between the paper cases and bake in the oven for 20−22 minutes until golden and risen. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to go cold.
- For the orange buttercream: Whisk the butter in a bowl until fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar and whisk until it comes together. Add the water and whisk until light and fluffy.
- To decorate: Put the buttercream into a piping bag with a large star nozzle. Pipe large swirls on top of each cake, starting from the outside and working your way into the centre. Sprinkle the cakes liberally with the glitter and stars.
Top tips for making sparkly cupcakes
Edible glitter and edible stars can be found in most large supermarkets in the baking aisle. We’d recommend rose pink edible glitter (VIEW AT AMAZON (opens in new tab)) and Wilton’s edible stars (VIEW AT AMAZON (opens in new tab))
You might also like…
Chocolate cupcake recipe (opens in new tab)
Hummingbird Bakery’s vanilla cupcakes recipe (opens in new tab)
Oreo cupcakes (opens in new tab)